missfires with encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyj

Reaction score
Anybody had missfire problems with the encore? Here is my situation: I have two barrels, one in 30.06 which i have had for two years and a 209x50 which I picked up over the winter and have shot around 30 rounds as well as lots of primers in between spit patch shots without a single missfire.
My rifle barrel is another story, as i recall it, sighted in last summer with remington ammo, having now problems with the first box of scirrocos, picked up some more and began having periodic missfires-primers dented, but no go's. as I remember it, re-cocking and firing would ussually get it to go off, but didn't get to worked up, I assumed it was a bad box of ammo. like i said, have been shooting my muzzleloader over the last couple weeks, no problems, broke out the rifle barrel yesterday to shoot some new winchester Xp3, fired three then had a missfire?
Firing Pin?
Barrel problem?
Ammo? coincidence that i got bad primers in two diff. brands? pretty slim odds I would think? At 30 bucks a box didn't want to shoot more of the Xp3s if its gonna get sent in for repairs and need to be sighted in again. I did shoot another 3 rounds of remington aftewards with no problems. now its really in my head, don't trust it!

hyj,
I don't own an encore, but from what I've read, you may have some gunk aroung the firing pin. With the BP barrel some of the blowback may be getting inside the frame, and impeding the firing pin travel. You might want to post your question in the Inline forum as well. Might be more people with encores respond to you there. Good luck

I had the same problem with my Encore (.223 barrel and 209x50). I had gotten some blowback residue around the firing pin (from firing the 209x50) and it wasn't always coming forward completely. I took off the round disk around the firing ping and gave it a good cleaning. No problems since, although I still clean it now and again just to be sure.

tooldog.

I called TC today, the lady imediately asked if I had a hammer spur extension on it (I do), she said take it off. they must get this call frequently. she said they will be coming out with a swing hammer conversion kit for the older style ones next month. we'll see.

Let us know if removing the hammer extension helps, I don't use one so that wouldn't have helped my issue. If you happen to check on that conversion kit, let us know. I would be very interested if it doesn't cost too much.

tooldog

Hammer extension on Encore ..a NO NO

Yep, a hammer extension will slow down the hammer enough due to the added weight that you will not get a acceptable contact to the primer to go " bang". Unfortunatly the hammer extension manufacturers don't tell you not to put a hammer extension on an Encore.

This is why the new Pro Hunter has a swing hammer. It eliminates the need for a hammer extension.

T /C needs to offer the new swing hammers as a replacement part for the thousands of Encores that are out there.

Choc-dog

My dad put a hammer spur on his 280 and had all kinds of problems with misfires. I had him take it off and he had no more problems. He thought I was crazy when I told him this, but the boy was right on this one. We had some of the mis-fired shells and for the heck of it we tried them again w/out the hammer spur. They went bang real easily then.

I think I read on Mike Bellms site that he recommends changing the hammer spring when installing a hammer extension. I have an extension on my Encore that I bought from Cabelas. I'm not real impressed with it.
This is good to know. Might save me some frustration down the road.
Thanks.
Mike

I tried firing one of the misfired rounds after removing the hammer spur and it did not go off...Gave it to a friend who put it in an A-Bolt and he says the round went off? don't know what to think. again, what is wierd is that I have probably fired 100 209x50's without a single misfire, is a shotgun primer "softer" than a centerfire?

hyj, I have had that problem in the past as well and as posted above, remove the firing pin and clean, but be careful not to lose the return spring. The blowback from the 209 will gunk up the pin (my 300 WM was giving me misfires until the light went on and I cleaned the gunk, now shoots every time) 0.02

I have seen this trouble when reloading for the Contender or Encore. Like has been mentioned check your firing pin condition first. If that is OK the next step is to go to Mike Bellm's site and read about his thoughts on headspacing. http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=172 He has tons of information and recommendations for the TC's. Good Luck!!

just checked the firing pin, no "gunk" or burnt powder, there was some oil though (my bad), dried it up, will see. I still find it odd that the missfires only occur with the centerfire barrel, not a single one with the Muzzleloader. thanks for the advice, will check back.

Sounds like maybe the barrel has excessive headspace. Ship that gun back to TC.

I would agree with Rifleman, especially since you have now checked the firing pin condition.

I will say that not having the single slotted screw (on the side of the action) not fully snugged up can do some strange things. One of those "for the halibut" checks. :)

hyj: You should be able to check headspace using a .44 or .40 pistol case, or any fitting or tubing that will fit on or near the datum line on the shoulder, and dial calipers. Compare fired and unfired cases against each other and saami specs. Or maybe even one that was fired in your friends rifle. You may have to pull unfired bullets from your factory rounds. A simple $12.00 kinetic hammer type bullet puller will do this. If your chamber is exessively streching brass, or is outside of saami specs definitely send it back as was suggested. Hope this helps and good luck. Dean

i have sent the barrel back to TC, will let you know what comes of it, thanks for all the replies.

As promissed... the outcome..... They sent me a brand new barrell! No explanation, but the head space issue makes the most sense. i would rather of not had the problem at all, but can't beat that for customer service.

Latest posts

Back