MK85 with a pitted bore, I could really use some advice.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
MK85 1.jpgMK85  2.jpgMK85 3.jpg

How does that old saying go "If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true" Picked up this old MK 85 to add to my collection this week and it looked to be well loved. Of course I bought on line and it got shipped to me. When I opened it up it was great and I think early as it has the ramrod tube is brazed and not screwed on it also came with a very bendy nylon ramrod (perhaps someone could wade in on that).

Someone cared for this rifle for a long time, the plunger came out easy, the BP was properly greased, very little to no rust externally and the stock is mint.

Then I discover that the bore is pitted, it has that look like its been acid etched in patches throughout as you can see in the photos. There is one area seen in the left photo about an inch into the rifling where it looks deep. The same area also looks raised if you look at the right hand photo. Even though there is obvious evidence of minor pitting throughout the bore it's still pretty shiny and the rifling is clearly defined.

I have zero experience of pitted / corroded bores and need a little advice.
  • Would you shoot it as is?
  • Is it possible to re-barrel?
  • Were the MK barrels and actions all one piece or were they two piece and threaded.
  • Is there someone who could re barrel it for me if I wanted.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• MK85 4.jpg
    MK85 4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I say shoot it also. I have seen and bought (sadly) a lot worse that still shot pretty darn good. If inclined, you could search on here for the Lee Shaver method or just hit it with JB bore cleaner and polish along with some 0000 steel wool. I think Deermanok uses a green pad vice the steel and gets good results.

I say shoot it also. I have seen and bought (sadly) a lot worse that still shot pretty darn good. If inclined, you could search on here for the Lee Shaver method or just hit it with JB bore cleaner and polish along with some 0000 steel wool. I think Deermanok uses a green pad vice the steel and gets good results.
When I got it the bore was pretty clean and I think had a layer of bore butter or similar down the length of it. It took about 8 patches before they came out almost clean. I used 50 & 54 bronze brushes along with some Hoppes to get it cleaned up. Then when I could see a clear image of what the bore was like I used 0000 and a little oil on my jag which got it to where you see it in the photos. To be fair the whole gun was very clean when I got it. It wasn't like it had been abused and I didn't have to do too much work.

Shoot it, you may be surprised. I'd probably use some JB Borepaste to clean it up as much as possible. The ramrod is correct on an early MK85. I belive the MK's were two piece, later models were one piece. The Walnut and blued MK85 was always a favorite of mine.

Shoot it, you may be surprised. I'd probably use some JB Borepaste to clean it up as much as possible. The ramrod is correct on an early MK85. I belive the MK's were two piece, later models were one piece. The Walnut and blued MK85 was always a favorite of mine.
I have a few Knights including a blued .50 in a green laminate stock that is almost like new. Like you I have always liked the blued rifles with a walnut stock. To me they represent something that you don't get too much these days. Too be honest I paid just under $300 CAD that included the rifle as you see it and shipping so I have no complaints. I just need to find some lower mounts and a new recoil pad.

Last edited:
Back when I started lurking here many talked about Knight. I asked around and found a friend who would let me borrow his. Well, I think it was put away years ago without a cleaning. By comparison your barrel looks brand new. In his there was no reflection or shine. Even after scrubbing and following information I got here. It was horrible. I did the best I could and loaded it with 100 measured grains of T7, a MMP sabot with 255 grain GT bullet, and a 209 primer. I put 2 shots within 1 1/2 inch of each other at 100 yards with a bad rest. Im not sure how bad a barrel has to be to quit shooting but yours is far from it. Im thinking your gun is just fine. Not perfect but whatever you kill with it wont complain.

I agree with everyone hear on the shoot it comments. I have shot good groups with worse barrels. Is the ramrod grey with "wavy patterns" in it? If so it is factory, there were several years that they shipped like that, very bendy. I have seen the ramrod ferule brazed on MK85s, it could be an early gun. Post a picture of the crown that might be telling. If your rifle has a set screw in the square portion of the receiver it could be a two piece rifle, very early ones were.

Back