moose

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickiesrevenge

Reaction score
Anyone here ever hunt moose with a muzzleloader? Im looking to get setup for it so I can apply for a few tags here in Alaska.

Yes I have. With side locks, round ball in .54 and lead maxiball in .50. I don’t recall any moose with inline though.
Walk

Either a 54 or 58 will do the job.

In 1995 I won a moose hunt in northern BC and took a bull with a .54 1-38 T/C Westerner with one of my cast maxi-balls. Six years later a friend came down from Alaska and bagged a bull elk on my place. He invited me to Alaska the following year to hunt moose. Five days into the hunt I got a great bull with the same weapon. Both were double lunged and went less than 50 yards. My friend was so impressed he bought my rifle and took two moose before he went to the happy hunting grounds.
Good thing I bought two of them when they first came out and have yet to fire the other.

I can say this, a moose I got many years ago with a m94 big bore in .356 win was the biggest body moose I ever shot. Don’t know what live weight would be, or even dressed weight but I got 900 lbs of boned out meat after cutting/wrapping/grinding/etc and packaging. Any guess that live weight would be? That was a NW Alberta bull.
Walk

Latest posts

Back