My “Sleeper” .50 Cal is ready to Roll

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I recieved a Cardboard Tube this morning from Rice Barrels :lewis: in it contained my new 1-24 Twist 32” inch .50 Cal Barrel :p
nbM1yk6.jpg

These RICE “Drop in” Barrels come in the “White“ They need sanded, Smoothed up, and Blued. I had thought about sending this Barrel out, or taking it to Mel Doyle and having it Professionally Hot Blued? BUT i am not much for patience. I opened the Tube, Pulled the Barrel out, Stripped it down, and went to work on it. It is now IDAHOLEWIS Blued :D I fitted a Lee Shaver Ferriss Windage adjustable front sight. New BACO Platinum Lined Nipple, A little tinkering with Stock/Barrel Fit. She‘s ready for a Test Run :lewis: Bore Diameter is right on .500, My 615 Grain .499 (finished Diameter) Paper Patched Bullet is SNUG, I might end up Bumping them Down to .498, I will know soon

I shall call it The “SLEEPER” .50 Cal :)
sbxtT1b.jpg

That Lace up Pad is PACKED nicely with Memory Foam to fill the Hawken’s Crescent Butt plate, That will definitely help, But she’s stil gonna WALLOP Good :D This is a HEAVY Hawken Stock (1” .54 Cal), it was a “Kit gun” The Wood is Proud/Heavy, Which is why i Chose it for this Project

I will be Chronographing these loads, hopefully tomorrow if it will quit Raining. I will be testing 90, 95, and 100 Grains of Swiss 2F, It will be intersting to see what kind of Velocity i get From this 32” Inch Barrel? I was able to get 1,280 fos with my 28” LRH Barrel and these Bullets. I am hoping for 1,300 Fps, That’s PLENTY for these BIG Bullets

Lewis, what's your technique for blued barrels ?

Just regular Old Birchwood Casey Cold Blue in a Bottle. I used their new SUPER Blue on This Barrel, it turned out VERY NICE, I couldn’t be happier with it :lewis: I have done 3 of these Barrels now, All 3 Look professional :lewis: the important part is Cleaning the Barrel good first, using Birchwoods De-Greaser. Rinse with Cold Water, Pat Dry, and Start Applying the Blueing, Rinse again in COLD Water, Pat Dry, and Blue again. The Blueing will start to Blend, They look as good as a Factory Job

This is the 1st one i ever Blued, This is my 9MM That J. Carpenter Built for me
ly0Hagf.jpg

That looks good lewis. Should be a shooter!
can’t wait for the video to see that thing pattern bullets and test new beginnings

Just regular Old Birchwood Casey Cold Blue in a Bottle. I used their new SUPER Blue on This Barrel, it turned out VERY NICE, I couldn’t be happier with it :lewis: I have done 3 of these Barrels now, All 3 Look professional :lewis: the important part is Cleaning the Barrel good first, using Birchwoods De-Greaser. Rinse with Cold Water, Pat Dry, and Start Applying the Blueing, Rinse again in COLD Water, Pat Dry, and Blue again. The Blueing will start to Blend, They look as good as a Factory Job

This is the 1st one i ever Blued, This is my 9MM That J. Carpenter Built for me
ly0Hagf.jpg

My champagne appetite on a beer income when a youngster carried me thru life, and I've used cold bluing all my life with fairly good results. You are really right when you say to CLEAN the metal thoroughly. There were never any places within 200 miles when I was young that did bluing and I don't know about now, but I still cold blue with good results.
Thank you for a very informative article.
Squint

Latest posts

Back