My 99EG. 300 and reformed .308 brass

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took a bit of effort (!) to make it work, but work it does!
I just wanted to have cheap brass, of heavier construction, that also fits my chamber better. Current .300 Savage brass is rather undersized...
An unexpected, but most welcome, benifit is the useful improvement in accuracy.
With .300 brass, she shoot 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups for 3 at 100.
Not terrible for a 74 year old aperture sighted rifle.
With the reformed .308 brass, 1 to 1&1/2. Occasionally she will go under an inch. Makes the effort worth it.
Another level of satisfaction...

I am also interested in more information. My latest firearm crush is for a 35 Whelen. It seems like a great cartridge, with lots of purpose. The cartridges are crazy expensive. However, it is a necked up 30-06. Once fired brass 30-06 is relatively inexpensive. So, I could buy components and roll my own. I just don't have any experience with necking up brass.

Haloo All
I had some issues at first. My f.l. dies were set for a .002 shoulder bump. 308s formed in this die wouldn't chamber. Not even close.
So I spotted another f.l. die set for SUPER cheap...
These I set up the normal way. Contact with the ram plus 1/8 turn and locked it down.
Ran the cases in, trimmed and VIOLA! They chambered fine.
I measured the case length and then partially seated a dead primer. Chambered it and closed the action. Extracted and ejected, and measured the length again. .002 proud. This gives the actual headspace for these cases/ die setting for this rifle.
Use plenty of lube and lube the inside of the case necks too. They're a LOT longer coming out of the die...
The Federal cases, so formed, are 15 grains heavier than the heaviest .300 brass, so load adjustment is necessary.
Yes this gives a cheaper and more available source of brass for a .300 fan. It is a bit of work, but its worth it.
The heavier brass SHOULD have longer life, and in my rifle, gave a useful increase in accuracy too.
As far as the ( mighty) .35 Whelen, a lot depends on if it's a factory or earlier custom chamber. I've no experience with necking up cases, but I expect there are those that do or videos somewhere. I would think just necking up would result in some loss due to split necks. .050 is not a trivial amount.
I would advise to seek those with more experience.
Good fortune to y'all!

Fourstring
I own an awesome 35 Whelen on a M98 action. When I first got it back from the gunsmith I started reforming some 30-06 brass. It's pretty straight forward. Use plenty of inside the necks. Set the dies for normal FL resizing. They'll come out a bit short but work just fine.

Fourstring
I own an awesome 35 Whelen on a M98 action. When I first got it back from the gunsmith I started reforming some 30-06 brass. It's pretty straight forward. Use plenty of inside the necks. Set the dies for normal FL resizing. They'll come out a bit short but work just fine.
Thanks for the input! I have not made a purchase, but I really have the itch.

Latest posts

Back