My string jumped off the cam and missed a decent last night

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
Just missed a nice buck because string jumped the cam

Don't get many chances up here in Vermont, and I just missed a nice one because of an equipment malfunction :cry: :cry: --------------------------

I'm totally bumming because i just missed a decent buck yesterday when my string jumped off the cam on firing my Bowtech Patriot. Don't know what happened, maybe picked up a twig or something. It was almost under my stand and when I touched off the release there was a weird noise, the buck scrambled off a few yards and stopped to figure out what happened. I knocked another arrow and couldn't pull the bow back then noticed my knock was 2" high. I'm shooting right on the weight limit but this never happened before. Any ideas???...maybe the high angle caused me to torque, maybe an obstruction on the string. I didn't hit anything with limb I'm sure. Now I'm going to be totally paranoid about whether something is drastically wrong with my set up...gotta go shoot a few more shots before I head to the woods.

Well you were not hurt. That's the main thing. I would have the bow checked by a professional if you are not, to make sure the limbs suffered no damage. Still it is what makes hunting. You will get another chance. I have never had that happen with my bow. What a terrible thing.

There is no way the string can rool off the cams by torqing the bow. Sounds like a partial dry fire. How was the knock on the arrow? Was it cracked or broken. This has happened to me a couple times, never while hunting but on the range. Also may have been a full dry fire if the arrow fell off the the string a split second before hitting the trigger. Check to see if the knocks fit tight or loose on your string. Could also have been a twig wedged between your string & cam. Happens all the time. I always check my cams when I get in the tree. I always draw it back one time once I get in the tree. After years of bowhunting and several problems that end that days hunt you start to learn what to look for to avoid potential problems. Not to mention the broken fiber optic pins every once in a while after trucking through thick brush. Inspect your string and cable to make sure there are no broken strands before shooting.
Now go get that buck!
Frank

Latest posts

Back