My youngest’s first time hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omidv

Reaction score
I got to take my Youngest daughter out deer hunting this past firearms season. She had asked mom if daddy could take her. Mom said ask him. Man that felt great to say get some clothes around and let’s go, I’ll load the truck!
She’s only 7 so it’s hard for her to be patient. She didn’t like sitting still and fell asleep quickly. Haha
I woke her up a little before that magic time when the deer start moving. A small 6 point came out but it was the biggest buck in the world to her. She said pleas shoot it daddy.
This hunt sure was special to me.

Attachments

• 67A5CDEA-D858-42C4-92A2-4518D96B84FE.jpeg
    67A5CDEA-D858-42C4-92A2-4518D96B84FE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C4275AB7-1DF5-40A2-AC40-221520CC4668.jpeg
    C4275AB7-1DF5-40A2-AC40-221520CC4668.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 9508B2E7-403D-4B39-88A9-1EB6BF78B27B.jpeg
    9508B2E7-403D-4B39-88A9-1EB6BF78B27B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2C77BA1C-7243-4B0B-B034-56510C9B3E9D.jpeg
    2C77BA1C-7243-4B0B-B034-56510C9B3E9D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Reminds me the first time I took my wife hunting. She was either eating or sleeping. I would either hear alittle snoring or her eating tater chips....lol....That morning, she told that to stop at a convenience store, she wanted to get us some snacks. She came out with 2 plastic bags of snacks. She would whisper to me every few minutes, you want a snack? I think I gained 5 lbs that hunting trip. We had a blast. I shot a little doe. She was so proud. Great times!!

@Omidv
Since she’s showing interest in hunting, I’d advise getting her involved in shooting ASAP. Hunting with a daughter is special, and I hope you cherish and enjoy this time. They grow up entirely too fast.

My boys both killed their first deer at 6, but my daughter didn’t get interested in hunting until she was 10. I was looking at game cam pictures on my computer one evening in August 2016, and she walked by, pointed, and said “I want to kill that buck”. I told her I would make that happen. Long story made short, she did kill that buck on October 8, 2016 at my place in Oklahoma.
IMG_0068.jpeg
IMG_1252.jpeg

Anther beauty with a beauty! Congrats daughter retrieverman even if it was 7 years ago!

I got to take my Youngest daughter out deer hunting this past firearms season. She had asked mom if daddy could take her. Mom said ask him. Man that felt great to say get some clothes around and let’s go, I’ll load the truck!
She’s only 7 so it’s hard for her to be patient. She didn’t like sitting still and fell asleep quickly. Haha
I woke her up a little before that magic time when the deer start moving. A small 6 point came out but it was the biggest buck in the world to her. She said pleas shoot it daddy.
This hunt sure was special to me.
The time you spend with her is the best investment you'll ever make. As long as you don't push her too hard, or keep her out too long, you've got yourself a great partner! Your smiles bring back lots of memories of my own.

I was 7 when Dad took me on my first deer hunt, and I'll never forget the little buck that he shot at the top of a side canyon on the Washington end of Hell's Canyon of the Snake River. That and earlier duck and pheasant hunts started my own lifelong fascination with all things outdoors. All the way through high school, Dad and I were best hunting and fishing buddies, and about 20 years ago I took him on his last hunt - for gophers in the pasture behind the little farmhouse in NW North Dakota where he grew up. That pasture was where Dad did his first hunting - for gophers and jack rabbits in the hard years of the 1930s. The pasture in North Dakota was always the center of Dad's life, and that's where he introduced me to gopher and jack rabbit hunting. In 2019, after taking care of Mom and Dad and managing all of their farmland and finances through 14 years of dementia, I buried their ashes and said goodbye for now in a tiny country cemetery that looks out across that pasture.

I started taking my two boys duck hunting when they were about 5, and the hunts we had together are some of my fondest memories. It was a challenge to find hunting spots that we could get to on foot without wading more than ankle deep, where there was likely to be enough action to keep them interested, and where I could retrieve ducks without a dog, but we found some great ones. It was sometimes hard when things were a little slow and they got bored, cold, and wanted to go home, but I soon learned ways of keeping them occupied for another hour when they reached the end of their attention span - and also learned that it was often best just to pack it in when they lost interest because then they'd be excited for the next hunt. Things got easier as the boys got older, and at about age 9 they acquired shotguns of their own, and I also introduced them to western mule deer and elk hunting, gopher hunting, and more. When my oldest boy, Chuck, was in college and medical school, hunting and fishing got him through some very hard times, and became the center of his life. They are still the center of his life, despite a very busy medical career.

On 27 November of this year my first grandbaby, Callahan Daniel Schultz, was born to Chuck and his wife. Chuck has already bought little Cal one of those three wheel all-terrain strollers, and is asking me about mounting bow and rifle scabbards on it..... :)

Last edited:
@Omidv
Since she’s showing interest in hunting, I’d advise getting her involved in shooting ASAP. Hunting with a daughter is special, and I hope you cherish and enjoy this time. They grow up entirely too fast.

My boys both killed their first deer at 6, but my daughter didn’t get interested in hunting until she was 10. I was looking at game cam pictures on my computer one evening in August 2016, and she walked by, pointed, and said “I want to kill that buck”. I told her I would make that happen. Long story made short, she did kill that buck on October 8, 2016 at my place in Oklahoma.
View attachment 39394
View attachment 39395
Sadie, asked if she can get a crossbow for Christmas that very night. She also told mommy she wanted me to cut the antlers so she can make them to rattling antlers! I’m actually going to mount them on a plaque for her that says Sadie’s first time hunting. She has a bow already and loves to shoot it but it’s more like a toy sized one but still good for training safety.

My daughter started latter in life but she is the best hunting companion I’ve ever had. I‘ll not go into all the details but this is what she did the first time she shot at an animal. 104 yards with 20ga slug gun.
View attachment 39364
Beautiful Buck ! I bet you are sure proud of her ! Good for both of you !

Back