Need advice for nocturnal boar

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
I've been getting a lot of trail-cam pictures of this one boar I really want to take. The only problem is that he doesn't first show himself at my feeder until 10:00PM. By then it's well past good shooting light. Anyone have any ideas or methods I could use to lure him out during daylight hours?

make sure the feeder opens early in the morning. Then the hogs learn that if they do not get there early, the amount of feed is gone. Also start putting out things they really like.

For bear, when we bait them, I like to get donuts. Jelly donuts work real great because of the smell. You put them out early in the mornings and the bear learn that they have to get there early or other animals eat them up. Go to a bakery, they often have seconds and day olds that you can get cheap. We used to get what was called pig bread and it was a pick up truck load for a couple dollars. (there was nothing really wrong with the bread and sweets.).

cayuga said:
make sure the feeder opens early in the morning. Then the hogs learn that if they do not get there early, the amount of feed is gone. Also start putting out things they really like.

For bear, when we bait them, I like to get donuts. Jelly donuts work real great because of the smell. You put them out early in the mornings and the bear learn that they have to get there early or other animals eat them up. Go to a bakery, they often have seconds and day olds that you can get cheap. We used to get what was called pig bread and it was a pick up truck load for a couple dollars. (there was nothing really wrong with the bread and sweets.).

Thanks for the advice Dave! I'll have to ponder that one for a bit to figure out how to do it. My feeder is kind of unique. It has a sensor on it to where it goes off with the first light in the morning. Around 0615 right now. And then there are some switches inside that allow you to set it to go off a second time. Right now I have it going off at first light and then 10 hours later. I'm not sure but I may be able to set it to where it just goes off at first light. Then I can turn down the amount of corn that's dispersed. But these hogs are crafty. They will bump the legs of the feeder to get more corn out of it.

I also put out stuff they like. I usually head out there around lunch time. Sometimes I will throw out a bunch of ear corn. And pretty much every time I go out there I dump out several boxes of Jello mix. They love that stuff!

I think I may let the feeder run out and not refill it for a couple days. Then I will set it to go off only in the morning (if I can) and when it does go off, only a small amount of corn will be dispersed. Maybe that will cause them to brave the daylight to fill their stomachs...

how many pictures of coons do you get each night, i am getting a bunch. cant wait to whack a bunch of them bandits, i am getting pictures of coons at midday.

Wait for a full moon. Use a scope with at least 40mm objective,,,,and you should whack him. 8) You need to be there when he is.

SW it sounds like your doing all you can to trick the old devil. Its funny how smart the animals can become when they know there is hunting pressure around.

gobbler getter said:
how many pictures of coons do you get each night, i am getting a bunch. cant wait to whack a bunch of them bandits, i am getting pictures of coons at midday.

I get a few. Not as many as I expected. I did have an issue with them climbing the legs of the feeder and knocking additional corn out. But I greased the legs with chassis grease from the ground up to about 5 feet and that stopped them.

cayuga said:
SW it sounds like your doing all you can to trick the old devil. Its funny how smart the animals can become when they know there is hunting pressure around.

Thanks Dave! I went out and checked the Cuddeback today when I was prepping my deer food plots. They came a little earlier last night. By about a half hour. And now there is 4 of them coming instead of 2. I think it's been long enough since Anthony shot his and now they're bellies are getting the better of them. I turned the feeder down to where it's throwing less corn now and I checked to see if I could get it to only throw in the morning. It can't. I now have it set to where it throws at first light and then at noon. And it's a lower amount of corn than before. Maybe they will figure out that they need to come earlier to beat the birds and the coons. I'll check the Cuddeback in a few days and see if it did the trick.

Your idea worked Dave! I checked the camera today and he has been coming out very early. Like 5:00PM early. And today he even came out at 6 in the morning. I'm getting ready to go out there and try to lay him out tonight. Wish me luck and I will post about it if I get him.

you can also go to grocery stores and get all of their old snack stuff like apple pies, donuts, cookies. A place i used to hunt the guy always did that. Kind of nice going out hunting, finding that bear bait and having a couple snacks while you were there :lol:

frontier gander said:
you can also go to grocery stores and get all of their old snack stuff like apple pies, donuts, cookies. A place i used to hunt the guy always did that. Kind of nice going out hunting, finding that bear bait and having a couple snacks while you were there :lol:

I'm not sure these hogs would eat that. I put a jar of peanut butter out there next to the feeder and they never touched it.

For hog hunting advice, try boarmasters.com Lots of tips and tricks of hog hunting gurus. :)

The hogs do know when the feeders are going off, but that doesn't make them appear at that time. Especially if they have been harassed around feeders. Any pressure at all, and they go nocturnal. There are things you can do to help keep them in the area, but there is not a sure fire method to get them to show in daylight. Thats when you go to lights or night vision equipment.

Back