Need replacement nipples for Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmp

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter. It uses a #11 nipple with 1/4-28 threads. I removed it and calipered the overall length of the nipple and it's around .709". I can't find any #11s that long. I'm worried that if I use a shorter .635 length nipple, which seems plentiful, indexing to the hammer will be thrown off. Anyone know where I can get longer #11 1/4-28 nipples? Or am I overthinking this? Thanks.

Track of the Wolf may have what you need.

The have a number of 1/4-28 nipples, and offer GREAT customer service!

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1?PageSize=100
If they don’t carry them, contact them anyway- “you never know.“ They might have an alternate suggestion. They love to help folks get their old arms shooting, again.

I’ve found them to be a tremendous resource!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about your Pedersoli. However, I've been shooting my T/C Renegade for nearly 30 years. I have never thought about the nipple length. I've used a couple dozen nipples and I know they were different manufacturers and lengths. I've never had an issue.

You are only talking about a difference of 74 thousandths. That seems pretty insignificant with respect to your hammer's travel path.

I looked at TOTW and it seems the "standard" nipple length is .635. Can't find anything there siignificanty longer. I found some that were 17mm and 19mm in overall lengt at a different overseas seller's website, which is .669 and .748 respectively,, but with different threads.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered them from Pedersoli. I got the beryllium nipples. It is my understanding that except for select rifles that they sell specific nipples for, all their rifles that use #11 caps use the same "Pedersoli Rifle" nipples. I guess we'll see. Thanks for thhe replies.

I ordered and received some "beryllium" #11 nipples and musklet cap nipples directly from Pedersoli. They are an identical overall length to the steel nipple that came on the gun. So even after swapping nipples, the nipple remains perfectly indexed to the hammer. Should be set for years to come.

1/4-28 is correct. It's the overall length that was the issue. I confirmed it with Pedersoli and they pointed me to the correct nipples. They are just longer than any other nipples I've seen. I wanted to make sure the nipple/hammer index wasn't thrown off by installing one that was too short, though I think it probably wouldn't have mattered that much.

I got my "beryllium" Pedersoli nipples. I had been having some occassional ignition problems with my Pedersoli Hawken .50 and #11 caps. So I switched over to a musket cap nipple. I spent the day at the range yesterday seeing if the musket cap threw off my zero. It didn't and I got immediate ignition 100% of the time. But the nipple has a pretty good taper and my Schuetzen musket caps only sit loosely on the nipple. Even pinching them down a bit only helps a little. So I devised this little wire cap harness that slips over the cap and under the drum which holds the cap firmly on the nipple but slips off very easily to change caps. It will make sure the cap doesn't come off until I want it to. It works perfectl;y and doesn't come into contact with the hammer at all.

C9MbprF.jpg

sGZMcJh.jpg

pNVmF1C.jpg

evblf2G.jpg

Talk about thinking outside the envelope....
Neat idea!

That's pretty clever!
I use Treso nipples and find that CCI #11's fit loosely on it. I peen the end of the nipple a bit and it helps the caps to stay on when I'm hunting.

Back