New from Texas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamus

Reaction score
Just found a Traditions Timber Ridge .50 cal. 1:32 and cleaning it up to see what it can do. Any tips on this rifle? I'm more of a bolt action guy so this is new to me.

Welcome from Las Vegas!

A 1:32 twist is similar but slightly slower than the standard 1:28 found in most modern .50 rifles. You’ll likely have the best luck with a fairly short bullet.

Welcome from Las Vegas!

A 1:32 twist is similar but slightly slower than the standard 1:28 found in most modern .50 rifles. You’ll likely have the best luck with a fairly short bullet.
Do you mean lighter because the sabots I've seen look the same? And thanks for welcome.

Do you mean lighter because the sabots I've seen look the same? And thanks for welcome.
The sabots themselves will be the same. I’m saying a bullet on the shorter/lighter end of the range because that’s a slower twist. For example, my .50 1:28 twists won’t shoot much heavier than a .45 300 gr jacketed lead bullet in a sabot. Even a Barnes 290 gr bullet (copper) is a little too long for the twist.

I’d guess that you could shoot a .45 bullet up to maybe 275gr in a 1:32. A 250 gr would probably be better.

Thanks for advice, I have some .50 240gr that I'll try first. I also have Pyrodex 50/50 pellets. Any words about them?

Okay upon further reading they are .44 cal. bullets Mag express sabots. Thanks for all your feedback.

Latest posts

Back