New to Muzzle loader - what bullet/charge/primer to use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshcomri

Reaction score
I apologize if this post isnt in the correct category.
Never shot a muzzleloader - inherited a Remington 700 ML and just installed the 209 SS conversion from Ahlmans.

The bullets/pellets/primers I have are as follows:
- Thompson/Century XTP - Jacketed Hollow point in Mag express sabots
- Pyrodex 50/50 charges (2 per shot)
- Remington 209 Premier STS primers.

Will this combo work to start target shooting? Deer hunting? Should I replace some or all?

Ive read literally read 20+ threads and Im still not sure what the correct combo to start with is.

Thanks for your time - much appreciated.
Josh - RI

Attachments

• IMG_9185.jpeg
    IMG_9185.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9184.jpeg
    IMG_9184.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9183.jpeg
    IMG_9183.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Welcome from S.Ohio! You have some good supplies there. I've never used the pellets personally but you should be able to practice with what you have available and see how the muzzleloader shoots. 2 pellets and the Ammo you have should be good to get you started. I shoot the same Ammo from my Cva accura V2 Lr with 90grn of blackhorn powder by volume and get 1 inch groups at 100yds.

Sounds like a good setup and load, although i’ve never used pyrodex. Those STS primers are some of the best available for good ignition, and tough to find in stock. I might suggest that you save the STS primers for the future, when you eventually change to BH209 powder. Start using the 209MZ primers by Federal with the pyrodex or 777.
Ive haven’t heard of Ahlmans 209 conversion. Have you got a link to their website?

Sounds like a good setup and load, although i’ve never used pyrodex. Those STS primers are some of the best available for good ignition, and tough to find in stock. I might suggest that you save the STS primers for the future, when you eventually change to BH209 powder. Start using the 209MZ primers by Federal with the pyrodex or 777.
Ive haven’t heard of Ahlmans 209 conversion. Have you got a link to their website?
https://ahlmans.com/cart/remington-700ml-209-conversion-kit-stainless-version.html

What you have is a good start to get familiar with your rifle. My advice is once you use up those pellets get some loose powder. No need IMO to buy BH209 powder. Stick with Pyrodex RS or Triple 7, Shooters World Black or even FFg black powder.
Also if you have a hard time gettin that bullet/sabot combo down the bore get some black Harvester Crush Rib sabots.

Ive got the following 209 priners:
fiocchi 616 209 type sur
federal 209A
Winchester W209
Rio 209 G-1000

and the remington 209 premier sts

Can I use any of the others besides the Remington’s in the muzzleloader?

Ive got the following 209 priners:
fiocchi 616 209 type sur
federal 209A
Winchester W209
Rio 209 G-1000

and the remington 209 premier sts

Can I use any of the others besides the Remington’s in the muzzleloader?
Any 209 should work. Although the dimensions vary slightly among them (especially the US vs Euro brands). Some may seal better in your breech plug.

Back