Newbie asking for muzzleloading shotguns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packmule320

Reaction score
I am looking for information on what would be a good muzzlelaoding shotgun.
Percussion cap, not flint, something that has choke tubes (I only assume that would be best).
I would primarily use for turkey hunting. Does any company still make them any more besides Pedersoli?
I am not opposed to buying used. I do have a Knight MK-85 .50 cal that is
my first muzzleloader. North Carolina does not allow rifles for turkey hunting.

Thank you for your help.
Penn "The Packmule" McMichael

If there a minimum gauge? Here in Florida can't use a ML shotgun that is less than .620/20ga if shooting multiple balls (ie, shot)

TBH you don't want a choke. You can get really good tight patterns following "the load" which is fairly well documented here - Skychief Smoothbore Load Recipe........

Would a in-line 209 conversion be legal? Short Lane conversion plug works well, $60 plus a pawn shop single shot 12ga

Otherwise, shotguns show up fairly frequently on the for-sale part of the forums at muzzleloadingforum.com

As with everything, choices depend on what you're willing to spend and how you intend to hunt. A tightly-choked M/L shotgun can be a bugger to load (depending on the wads you use). Cylinder bore is easier to find - smoothbore muskets work just fine with shot loads and most traditional and original shotguns will be sans choke. Call 'em in close & you'll be in good shape. Good Luck!

Well, since you’re posting this in the Inline Muzzleloading section, the two inline shotguns I am aware of are the Knight TK2000 and White Tominator. Both are well liked.

I have a Tominator and it shoots a very nice pattern with TSS.

If there a minimum gauge? Here in Florida can't use a ML shotgun that is less than .620/20ga if shooting multiple balls (ie, shot)

TBH you don't want a choke. You can get really good tight patterns following "the load" which is fairly well documented here - Skychief Smoothbore Load Recipe........

Would a in-line 209 conversion be legal? Short Lane conversion plug works well, $60 plus a pawn shop single shot 12ga

Otherwise, shotguns show up fairly frequently on the for-sale part of the forums at muzzleloadingforum.com

WOW! In all my years of shooting a smoothbore Flintlock, I would have never thought to load it like Skychief does? Go figure!

Believe me, I'm going to try that out!

A new Pedersoli is too expensive for my wallet. I occasionally see used CVAs and Navy Arms on Gun Broker but even those go for $600 to $800. Back around 2008, a club member had a 12 gauge over-and-under but I don't remember who made it.

I did not know that both Knight and White made a shotgun. However, I was wondering why Traditions or CVA don't make a shotgun barrel for their break-open Muzzies. I think it would be an awesome accessory and make the gun very versatile!

Good Luck!

Walt

WOW! In all my years of shooting a smoothbore Flintlock, I would have never thought to load it like Skychief does? Go figure!

Believe me, I'm going to try that out!

There are lots of threads on the traditional focused forum about how nice the patterns the Skychief method come out...

White also made a Thunder .12 ga.shotgun. I have one I use for squirrels. The Thunder is basically the same as the Tominator, but has a myrtle wood stock instead of laminate. Both shotguns have straight rifling and take Hastings chokes.
Mine has NWTF decal on the stock.

Thank you all for the replies.
I could not find that Knight and White still make them today.
Any other brands that make them new?

I found the Knight TK2000 at Midway. But it boasts "Designed for 40 yards and beyond, the choke allows 85% shot density in a 30″ circle at 40 yards!" I don't think 85% in a 30" circle is very impressive. Or am I missing something? Looks like it uses #11 primer.

Well, since you’re posting this in the Inline Muzzleloading section, the two inline shotguns I am aware of are the Knight TK2000 and White Tominator. Both are well liked.

I have a Tominator and it shoots a very nice pattern with TSS.
What is TSS?

As with everything, choices depend on what you're willing to spend and how you intend to hunt. A tightly-choked M/L shotgun can be a bugger to load (depending on the wads you use). Cylinder bore is easier to find - smoothbore muskets work just fine with shot loads and most traditional and original shotguns will be sans choke. Call 'em in close & you'll be in good shape. Good Luck!
OK, what is a cylinder bore vs smoothbore?

Latest posts

Back