Only God can make a tree

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought me ANOTHER. 50 flintlock Renegade yesterday.
I had the blues, so off I go to my favorite Den of Iniquity...
Got her for a fair price, but had to swap barrels due to some unseen defect RIGHT at the ball seat...
The new barrel BUG HOLES with my go to load. 250 grain .45 XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grains of 3f Swiss Holy Black.
Put an aperture sight on her and 3 shot 50 yard groups ran from 5/8ths to 1 & 1/8th. That one was my fault.
The pics don't do her justice. The factory finish it quite shiny. But the blond walnut is GORGEOUS. Silver Elite/ Hawken Cougar level.
Pretty, pretty, pretty...

Attachments

• 20230528_191658.jpg
    20230528_191658.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_191714.jpg
    20230528_191714.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_191743.jpg
    20230528_191743.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_191723.jpg
    20230528_191723.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Thank you.
But, I REALLY do have to stop this.
Getting outta hand.
I'm serious!
Really!
Anybody know a12 step for muzzleloaders? Flintlocks in particular.
Hi. I'm Mark and I like muzzleloaders. Hi Mark...
Pity sake! I'm an unrepentant inliner and I only have ONE of those!

looks really nice!
not much of a support group here, just a bunch of enablers with all levels of addiction...... sorry. :cool:

Thank you.
But, I REALLY do have to stop this.
Getting outta hand.
I'm serious!
Really!
Anybody know a12 step for muzzleloaders? Flintlocks in particular.
Hi. I'm Mark and I like muzzleloaders. Hi Mark...
Pity sake! I'm an unrepentant inliner and I only have ONE of those!
I run a house for the insane muzzleloader junkies. First step you need to take is to send them little devils to my house for crucifixion. After i get that step taken care of we will talk about step number two…….

Nice. Glad you like a shiny stock. I'm just the opposite. I like a dull finish. Check out my Stock Finish" thread. My Renegade had beautiful grain and a shiny stock just like yours but I took off the finish down to bare wood and redid it with tung oil. Stock came out nice and dark the way I like it and the grain still pops out.
I'm also happy you can shoot with an aperture sight. I used to be able to but now with my aging eyes in order to use one I need a big hole, almost ghost ring size. Otherwise I get what looks like a fuzz going right thru the middle of the hole! When I was able to use one my accuracy was as good as with a scope but now I have to rely on the good old semi-buckhorn sights. They work and luckily I'm still able to shoot fairly well with them.

Actually, I don't like shiny stock finishes. I'm considering a redo, but would prefer a finish to make that gorgeous grain POP.
Appropriate sized aperture gives a magnifying effect.
With open sights, I get blur. With my apertures, the front sight and target are crystal clear. Out to 200 yards I can keep up with a 4x scope. My .35 Remington, a model 760, with a 4x shoots right around an inch for 3 at 100. Haven't tried her at 200 yet.
My aperture sighted Firehawk and Hawken hang right with her if the wind isn't blowing too hard.
If I shoot a large aperture, or ghost ring, I'm no better than with open sights. The front sight is just a blur.
Once had a British No4 Mk2 that I could shoot 6 inch groups 300 yards.

Latest posts

Back