Percussion cap storage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironwrx

Reaction score
Hi. This is not really “bullet casting”, but I didn’t really know where else to post this. (Admin. Change category if necessary).
I’ve been using my 22lrreloader.com percussion cap maker, and prime-all to make a slew of percussion caps lately. I’ve read a lot on the forums, and talked to several about acetone and Duco. But here’s a new question. I’ve made copper, I’ve made brass, and I’ve made aluminum caps. I like to put my new caps that I’ve made into the little tins that commercial caps come in. Is dielectric corrosion, or dissimilar metal reaction something I should be concerned with? I’m mainly concerned about putting the aluminum and brass or copper caps in the same container. Also maybe the aluminum caps shouldn’t be stored in the little tin containers? Am I overthinking this, or is this a valid concern?

Attachments

• IMG_3653.jpeg
    IMG_3653.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I would store them separated by metal type, just because im like that. I dont think it would be a problem to mix them, although idk if long term, that would be an issue. (Like several years) If kept cool and dry there should not be any corrosion, dissimilar metal or other. Maybe put some small desiccant packs in the tins.

I would store them separated by metal type, just because im like that. I dont think it would be a problem to mix them, although idk if long term, that would be an issue. (Like several years) If kept cool and dry there should not be any corrosion, dissimilar metal or other. Maybe put some small desiccant packs in the tins.
So, you wouldn’t worry about the aluminum caps by themselves in the tin containers?

@Ironwrx, I bought the 22lrreloader.com percussion cap maker, and prime-all about 3 years ago. I have never used it. I was sure I would never find factory primers again. However, I have been able to find as many as I needed.

Anyway, how well do the home made caps work? Are they reliable? It seems like percussion caps are becoming unobtainable again. I may have to go to home made caps.

No, not as long as they are stored properly. Cool and dry. That is assuming the aluminum doesn't react with the priming material.
What I’m getting at is the dissimilar metals aluminum's and tin reacting. I guess what you’re saying is that if they’re kept cool and dry they’ll be ok. I guess to play it safe with the aluminum ones, I’ll put them in plastic pill bottles. Thanks.

@Ironwrx, I bought the 22lrreloader.com percussion cap maker, and prime-all about 3 years ago. I have never used it. I was sure I would never find factory primers again. However, I have been able to find as many as I needed.

Anyway, how well do the home made caps work? Are they reliable? It seems like percussion caps are becoming unobtainable again. I may have to go to home made caps.
The ones I’ve been making seem to work quite well. I tried soda can aluminum a couple of years ago and Prime-All compound. I wasn’t real impressed. The thin aluminum didn’t seem to stay on the nipples consistently. Also when I first used the compound I found that acetone alone, didn’t reliably “set” the compound in the caps as well as a 4:1 acetone/Duco cement mix. I have since tried Foster’s beer can aluminum, and also tried .005” copper and .006 brass. The thinner copper and aluminum both held onto the nipples as well as factory caps. And the brass ones really held on tight. All in all, I think the system works well. I’d definitely recommend the Prime-All and cap maker punch from 22lrreloader.com.

What I’m getting at is the dissimilar metals aluminum's and tin reacting. I guess what you’re saying is that if they’re kept cool and dry they’ll be ok. I guess to play it safe with the aluminum ones, I’ll put them in plastic pill bottles. Thanks.
I understand what you are saying. But it really wouldn’t be an issue. Without an environmental factor(electrolyte such as moisture)to help start a reaction between the two, galvanic(dissimilar metal) corrosion won’t happen.

Last edited:

I bought the kit about 3 years ago and have made some caps that work well. I have been able to find caps and have enough to keep me busy for a while. They surface now and then and I add more to the stash when possible. Even large pistol primers have become available again and waiting for some large rifle primers to supplement my stock.
The cap making kit is good to have just in case my commercial stock runs dry.

Back