PETEO'S BIG BLUE ON THE MISS!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
I moved this thread that Peteo put up on our Old Board just last month.

:D Dont see too many cats like this one for sure! Peteo's Thread:

"We went down and prefished the Cabelas KingKat tourney and took a picture and released this 65# plus blue. Man what a fish!! The fish was caught the day before the tourney.
Everything worked out though we got 1st place with 105# for four fish the biggest at 36#. 45 boats fished the tourney. "
Kingkatalton2005005.jpg

WOW! That's a good sized cat! :shock: Peteo, what pound test line, and how long does it take to get one to the boat that is that big? Congrats on the great finish.

Bluedot,
I use 80# tuffline with Penn 209 reels and a 10 foot premier nightstick rod. I fish with a three way swivel with anything from a 4 oz to a 16 oz weight on a 8 to 6 inch 25 lb drop. I use a 10 to 12 inch 50 # drop to a Gamatsku 8/0 circle hook. It took close to a 1/2 hour to get that fish in. Like the world record blue we buoy off our anchor and untie and then fight the fish drifting downstream. I love to go down to that river to fish. One day if I am lucky I just might hook into a $150,000 dollar blue.

That is just an awesome CAT! Looks like a ton of fun!

Peteo, what size of those Blues are decent for table fare?

Loggy,
I hate to tell you this but the blues I am catching all weigh 15# to 35# with an occasional bigger one. These fish all get released with a picture of me smiling holding the bigger ones. If I want cat fillets I usually just kill the 2 to 4 lb. channels. With all the concerns of heavy metals and pollution in our waters, I only eat the younger ones. Kind of like those yearlings I kill the first day of archery to cover my EAB (earn a buck) at the state park I hunt. Yummy! I have a good friend that jug fishes for flatheads and they keep the 30 to 70 lbs. and throw back the smaller. He says that there not worth butchering any smaller. They have quite a system with holding fish in tanks till they have enough to butcher.
I have been out trolling for cats this last week at our lake. Been catching about 10 a trip nothing over 5# normally, though I did catch a 12.7 female. Its just plain fun!

I agree Pete...cant beat those lil channels for some fine eatin! I throw bak quite a few larger ones also.

peteo said:
Loggy,
I have a good friend that jug fishes for flatheads and they keep the 30 to 70 lbs. and throw back the smaller.
Nice fish, good fishing! I used to be a channel fan (for the table), then I got introduced to flatheads..... Flatheads are just plain good, any size.

Take care, have fun....
Roger D. in Southern Indiana

Back