Pietta 1851 Sheriff Model

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I got a new Pietta 1851 Navy Sheriff's model cap and ball revolver in .44 cal. yesterday. Cabela's had/has them on sale for $149 and an extra cylinder for $49.95 more. It's tight and seems to be timed right. The open-topped Colt copies all bind if you try to fan them or get too quick on the rotation of the cylinder. This one is no different. The finish and barrel-cylinder gap are real good. Cleaned it up and fired some caps but no powder and bullets yet. It seems that .450-.451" balls should be the right size. I'll load it up with the round balls, 3FG Goex and #10 caps tomorrow and have a session.

With rudimentary sights and a 4 7/8" barrel I'm not expecting much but it should be lots of fun.

Pato mine can keep all six shots in a 4" circle at 28 yds using .451 balls and 24 gr 3F

If the loading lever was'nt so short i would've like to use .454 ball like i do in my Remingtons.

I had to use a leather mallet to tap it to get it started. That edge cuts into my delicate hands.;)

I reamed the chamber mouths slightly so the balls compress when you load them
 also adding to the difficulty in getting her loaded.

What i do is to put a shot out 338 mag casing over the loading lever just to give it body when i ram the balls home...saves the soft hands :lol:

I don't like those big magnums (or rather they don't like me). I'll try a .35 Whelen and see if it works.

i always used the .451 round ball. 454's were just tooo danged tight. Lube cylinders real good once its loaded!  A chain fire can make a mess out of your undies.

Get some thick tubing that will slip over the loading lever. That, or get a cylinder loader. That's what I always used.

I looked at a cylinder loader on Cabela's online. It looked so chintzy that I thought I could make a much better one myself. When I estimated the cost of the materials and the hours of work it would take, I changed my mind and am looking for a well-made one even though they do cost a good bit more.

Latest posts

Back