Primer Ignition Device to replace Percussion Caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Ross

Reaction score
I found these illustrations in Ned Robert's "The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle. The drawing was provided to Mr Roberts by Mr. Wm. V. Lowe.
1663553061923.jpeg

These are pictures of the Primer Ignition Device installed on a Brockway Rifle.

1663553103955.jpeg

There is(was) also the Accra-Shot. Exactly the same as the Mag Spark but it takes rifle primers, and some Accra-Shots that held a #11 cap too.

Last edited:
I found an Accra-Shot (NOS) on Etsy that takes #11's. I forget the thread.
They made them with 9 dif threads. Fits for TC large and small guns. CVA, Traditions, Investarms and other European guns with metric threads. One for H&R. A few other sizes,too.
Kinda cool if you get one with their weird little capper included.

Looks like ignition would be very positive. However, I'd be reluctant to try it.
1) More to clean
2) Easy to forget gun is primed and end up loading a primed barrel
3) Easy to forget to prime
4) Easy to get out of order in the loading process (see #2 above)
5) Not cheap

Even with their scarcity, I like the visual signals of percussion caps

I remember the Mag Spark 209 Primer Adapter For Sidelocks being available many years ago. I thought it seemed like a bad idea. Re-priming would be slow and cumbersome. You have to unscrew the cover, remove the spent primer, drop in a new one and then reattach the cover. Way too much activity in a hunting situation. Plus, try doing it all while wearing gloves. Oh, and don't drop the cover part in the snow. That would end your hunt really quickly.

I have the mag spark for a few guns but it really turns into a hassle if you're shooting T7. It does allow me to shoot bh209 in a sidelock tho. I have one of the Accra-Shots for my Renegade or WMC and hope to try out some SRMPs and bh209 in the WMC with it this Fall. Maybe i can also try it with T7 and SRPs and see how that works out.

Looks like ignition would be very positive. However, I'd be reluctant to try it.
1) More to clean
2) Easy to forget gun is primed and end up loading a primed barrel
3) Easy to forget to prime
4) Easy to get out of order in the loading process (see #2 above)
5) Not cheap

Even with their scarcity, I like the visual signals of percussion caps
I do not hunt, so most of those objections do not apply.
I live in Louisiana, so if I want to hunt during primitive weapons season, I could use any single shot rifle over 35 caliber, like a .35 Whelen, .444 Marlin, or 45-70 Govt.

If you want to hunt and do not like the primer ignition device, just unscrew it and screw in a standard nipple.

I remember the Mag Spark 209 Primer Adapter For Sidelocks being available many years ago. I thought it seemed like a bad idea. Re-priming would be slow and cumbersome. You have to unscrew the cover, remove the spent primer, drop in a new one and then reattach the cover. Way too much activity in a hunting situation. Plus, try doing it all while wearing gloves. Oh, and don't drop the cover part in the snow. That would end your hunt really quickly.
you would be very lucky to get a 2nd shot "quick" while hunting, & doubt one could handle no.11's with gloves on either,, That being said, back in the late 70's one of my hunting buddies put 2 balls in a whitetail on our Tn. ML hunt,, & he had one of those that used a small rifle primer! I still remember the 2, 45 cal balls looked more like quarters when we found them in the boiler room of the big doe... a no. 11 is just fine too.. i put mine on hoping it would be less prone to moisture... i'll be trying it on my new rice 45 cal barrel very soon..

you would be very lucky to get a 2nd shot "quick" while hunting, & doubt one could handle no.11's with gloves on either,, That being said, back in the late 70's one of my hunting buddies put 2 balls in a whitetail on our Tn. ML hunt,, & he had one of those that used a small rifle primer! I still remember the 2, 45 cal balls looked more like quarters when we found them in the boiler room of the big doe... a no. 11 is just fine too.. i put mine on hoping it would be less prone to moisture... i'll be trying it on my new rice 45 cal barrel very soon..
2nd shot? That there's funny ! /Ed

Back