Proper bench rest technique questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
Ive heard alot of talk about proper bench rest technique, but to be honest I dont know what it is. I do not have a sand bag, but I do have a Millett Bench Master, which seems to be a soft rubber compromise Could some of the more experienced or military shooters please explain? Should you hold the front end of the MZ down at all? The surface Im shooting off of is a cement shooting table poured in the shape of half an hour glass at a private range.

The bench that you're shooting off of sounds good. Similar to what we have at out range. Those rests should work as long as they hold the rifle steady and allow you some movement to adjust your point of aim.
Everyone has a different system when shoot at the bench. I guess, what you do depends on how you shoot in the field while hunting. Me, I allow the rifle to free recoil. Some here may disagree, but that's the way I do it. I put the rifle on the front rest and the stock in the rear bag. I use my left hand to squeeze or release the rabbit ears on the rear bag to adjust elevation. I squeeze the trigger with my right hand. When I hunt, I'm usually in a blind and rest the fore stock on the back of my arm and allow the rifle to free recoil. I'm sure that if I held the foreend tight my point of impact would change. If you're one that holds the foreend, my system won't work.
The other thing that needs practice is trigger pull. If you know when the rifle will shoot your shots will be off. If you squeeze and keep increasing the pressure and the gun goes off and surprises you it will be a good one.

MQ32shooter said:
Should you hold the front end of the MZ down at all?

MQ,

Here is a great thread that was written when I was first learning about that exact issue...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... .php?t=895

Below are pictures of the rests I use...including a picture of the rest in use...

JC

107_0751.jpg

108_0818.jpg

Hey MQ....!!!

One thing no one has mentioned yet.....

Always place the stock on the front rest in the same location.
Oh, and make double sure the sling stud cannot recoil back into the rest... :D

Back