Prototype Inline identification

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Nimrod

Reaction score
I recently acquired an inline from a forum member and I need some help identifying it. It's a .50 caliber with a Winchester type 3 position safety. It has Knight fiber optic sights and a Knight recoil pad. Stock is a high quality walnut. Under the action its stamped "WIN-1" and the trigger group is stamped "P 072197". It has no other markings. The round barrel and action is blued. Its a cock on close firing pin. Pics are enclosed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Knight 1.jpg
    Knight 1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Knight 2.jpg
    Knight 2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Knight 3.jpg
    Knight 3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Knight 4.jpg
    Knight 4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
dbowling, I’ve been in contact with Knight. They are stumped as well. They’ve been passing the pics around to their a pro staffers trying to figure out what it is.

Its definitely not an X150, but maybe it was a prototype when Win was looking for someone to build them a ML? They may have looked to many ML companies for a ML before settling on whoever built it for them. Dikar or Jukar, i think.
I guess anything is possible but this thing would never come in at the Winchester $250 X150 price. Not even close.

I guess anything is possible but this thing would never come in at the Winchester $250 X150 price. Not even close.
I agree. I was just thinking that knight or green mntn may have made a prototype as an example of what the could make for Win, so they could get into the ML ring. I think they eventually went with 2 different offerings, the Kodiak which they sold as the Apex, and the X-150 which may have been made by Traditions parent company. Can you imagine if they had built their own like Remington and Ruger did, on a 70 receiver? I bet it would be an amazing ML and might look a bit like that one you have there.

Here is the response I got from Gordy at SSK:

You certainly do have one of the rare items coming from Knight. If I am correct, this is an early prototype ( 1995/96 era) of what came to be the D.I.S.C. model introduced in 1997. Again, if memory serves me correctly, there would have been only 5 or 10 of these made. The design is still very prominent today with the Disc Extreme, Mountaineer and Ultra Lite line up.

Always liked Gordy. Talked to him several times on the phone. He was the one that managed to find me a the same trigger as the 2006 Extreme Target model used. Wide shoe and fully adjustable. IIRC for under $100 or $125 too. Been so long ago i cant remember.

Its not quite the quality of an A & H but its definitely up there. I'll be load testing it once my 240 grain Hornady XTPs and Harvester sabots get here. I also have round balls, maxi balls, and some old Powerbelts to test.

I agree. I was just thinking that knight or green mntn may have made a prototype as an example of what the could make for Win, so they could get into the ML ring. I think they eventually went with 2 different offerings, the Kodiak which they sold as the Apex, and the X-150 which may have been made by Traditions parent company. Can you imagine if they had built their own like Remington and Ruger did, on a 70 receiver? I bet it would be an amazing ML and might look a bit like that one you have there.
Interesting 411 on all that.

Back