Real high tech electronics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
I was looking for some feedback on some of the high tech forward looking fishfinders. I know the salt water guys have some slick and expensive gizmo's. But I am really a novice when it comes to that kind of stuff. Can someone point me in the right direction here? I was wanting something that would scan in the water like a radar above the water line does for my planned(hoped for) striper guide boat.

The Hummingbird 980 Series have quite a few bells & whistles that are neat. I viewed one at the MD Sportfisherman' Show in simulation mode and the screen resolution was great and looked "User Friendly". Hear's a recap of them:

"Humminbird 981C SI and 987C SI Combo
The 981C SI and 987C SI map enormous areas of the bottom revealing topography and structure with picture-like detail, plus combine traditional 50/200kHz sonar and an ultra wide, high resolution screen. Utilize professional grade side imaging sonar. Boast a brilliant, 7" sunlight viewable color display with 480V x 854H resolution. 8000 Watts peak to peak power output, depth to 3000 ft., and 2-1/2" target separation. Dual microprocessors and triple channel sonar transmitter/receiver deliver fast, smooth operation. Full screen trackplotter, 3D track and split screen sonar/track with adjustable split. Plug and play compatibility with WeatherSense Barometric Pressure, SmartCast Wireless Sonar Link and PC Connection Advanced Accessories. Fresh & saltwater set up options for optimal performance in any environment. Complete GPS trackplotting (GPS input required). PC connection. Accelerated Real Time Sonar? operates at up to 40 times per second to instantly capture the action under the boat. Xpress? menus place most important setting at your fingertips. Freeze Frame pauses the sonar scroll for detailed inspection of the screen. Instant Image Update immediately shows the results of setting changes for the most accurate fine tuning. Sonar Echo Enhancement? technology is so sensitive it will track a jig to over 40 ft. and separate targets within 2-1/2". Fully gasketed waterproof design and it floats. Backlight for night viewing. TripLog., Totally automatic or totally manual operation. One-touch zoom with 2x, 4x, 6x, and 8x zoom levels. Water surface temperature included in transducer and speed paddelwheel included. The 987C SI boasts a 12 channel WAAS GPS receiver and Chartplotting. Built-in UniMap? of the USA coastline, and inland lakes and rivers to 4nm detail. Allows you to save 3000 waypoints, 50 routes, and 50 tracks with 20,000 points each. One-year limited warranty. " About $1,500-$1,800 and you are ready to boggie!! Have a Buddy thats on the Pro circuit and he said to drop a couple grand in electronic (Professionally intalled) is nuttin. This model has the basics that I would require if going out everyday.

I have a basic Humminbird 200DX model. You can buy for bout $200. Not too many bells and whistles but shows type of bottom, ledges etc, depth & no. of fish, speed, water temp and most importantly depth of water plus has a shallow water alarm. Has saved many a props for me. ;D Man, talk about technology in some of the newer ones out there! Wonder there are any fish left. ;D

I have a decent Eagle Exploer AKA Loran GPS w/12 channel receiver so dont need that built-in feature.

Pic of mine in simulation mode to show screen:

187271.jpg

Latest posts

Back