Renegade barrel, "pre-warning" ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
thinking of picking up an other barrel for my T/C renegade. On some ads they say "pre-warning" barrel. Is this a good thing?

Also, not many people who sell them seem to know what the barrel twist is. If made by T/C can I assume 1:48?

txhunter58 said:
thinking of picking up an other barrel for my T/C renegade. On some ads they say "pre-warning" barrel. Is this a good thing?

Usually it really is, because these barrels are often made by contracted barrel company and those 2-3 companies made really good barrels from regular rifle barrel steel. The key to who made the barrel is a a symbol or stamp on the underside of the barrel by the under lug. Usually if there is not a stamp - then it was made by TC.

Also, not many people who sell them seem to know what the barrel twist is. If made by T/C can I assume 1:48?

As far as I know all Renegade barrels, even if they are not labeled Rengade are 1-48

There was once a renegade barrel that was 1-66. This was when they first came out,and they were made by the Douglas Barrel Company. I saw only one, and it was NOT marked renegade. So I argued it was after market, but they swore it was stock.

But 99% of the renegade stock barrels are 1-48 twist.

cayuga said:
There was once a renegade barrel that was 1-66. This was when they first came out,and they were made by the Douglas Barrel Company. I saw only one, and it was NOT marked renegade. So I argued it was after market, but they swore it was stock.

But 99% of the renegade stock barrels are 1-48 twist.

Douglas did under contract make TC Renegade and Hawken barrels early on. They were marked with a 'W' or a 'M' (however you look at it) on the underside of the barrel just behind the wedge lug.

I am drawing a blank right now what the other symbol was and who the company was, I would have to take a couple of Renegades apart to find out what the symbol was...Ok I could not handle it I took the older 54 apart and the symbol is <> like a diamond looking stamp. No symbols at all and it was made by TC

I have the 1-66 barrel on one of my Renegade rifles it is the best shooting PRB rifle I have.

Lee.. so was his. I came up against him in a bullseye match at a Rendezvous and he shot the pants off me. That man was stacking ball in a very impressive manner. That's why after the match I got to talking to him and got to look at his rifle.

He claimed from a bench rest he could hit a 12 inch gong at 200 yards. After watching him shoot, I sure was not about to doubt him.

Latest posts

Back