Renegade is almost ready.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
I refinished the stock with 6 coats of mahogany minwax and clear satin . The barrel made it today, 32 inch 58 cal Green Mountain 1:70 twist. It wasn't a perfect drop in but it didn't take to much to get it to fit.
all that is left is the sights ( Lyman 17 globe front sight and still deciding between the Lyman 57 and the creedmore for the tang) and then sight it in. it should be ready for the season :D
I'll change the lock out in the future for an L and R lock.

009-2.jpg

008-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

Looks great!
Did you have any trouble locating that .58 green mountain barrel?

Did you strip it down to the bare wood, and if so, how did you get the old stain/varnish off?

fine work....i am getting ready to start my kit building .... thanks for the encouragement!!!

shguns said:
Looks great!
Did you have any trouble locating that .58 green mountain barrel?
actually I looked everywhere online and there were none to be found then someone on the forum told they got one from tip Curtis . He doesn't have a website or anything but I emailed him and sure enough be happen to have one . So thanks to a forum I found one

smyrnagc said:
Did you strip it down to the bare wood, and if so, how did you get the old stain/varnish off?
i used liquid e z stripper then I sanded with extra fine 600 paper . I damp wiped the wood to raise the grain and sanded again. I did that 4 times then I applied the stain one coat at a time with about 8 to 12 hours between each coat . I also used 0000 steel wool on each coat before applying the next coat
I planned on 6 coats but it didn't seem to get any darker after 4 so I stopped there .

Thanks everyone for the compliments . I can hardly wait to get the sights on and get a range session in.

looks like I should have the sights on this week and get in a range session. I will let you know how she shoots. :D

012.jpg

Latest posts

Back