Respooling Reels?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
How often do you all respool ur reels??

If I'm doing alot of saltwater fishing i normally respool several times a year. That SW environment knocks the hell out of line especially mono. You can tell when the mono looses some of its original sheen its starting to weaken. FW i can get by with once a season if line isnt exposed to extreme sunlite or frayed up from rock structure etc..

When I was fishing on the salt, I did the same thing. Now for freshwater, I usually re-spool once a year, except for the braided superlines. I've gone a couple of years with them and haven't seen any degradation of the line. I ususlly use 2# for panfish, and unless I'm fishing around structure where the lilne gets knicked up, even once a year is O.K. for the 2# stuff.

I've found that Maxima Chameleon is very tough stuff and that's my preferred line for 2# or 3#. I will re-tie the jig after 25 fish tho. Why take chances??

Otherwise, I'm usually using Stren XL or a Flurocarbon on my spinning reels if it's not a Superbraid.

Yeah, I agree BD, those Superbraids seem to have a long life.

I buy those big 3,000 yd bulk spool of Silverthread, P-Line and others, store them in my cool dry & dark basement and have had some for over 5 years now and like new. The heat, light & salt seems to be the hardest on them.

I use powerpro on all my striper reels (3 reels). The line will last multiple years. My main reel, which is the smallest, needs to be respooled at least every other year. This is result of fishing hard on piers and jettys where I lose rigs often. Sooner or later I lose alot of the original capacity. I could try to get extra time out of it, but why take the risk of losing fishing over being cheap!

jcchartboy said:
I could try to get extra time out of it, but why take the risk of losing fishing over being cheap!

Oh how true! I went on a trip with a friend, and he kept losing fish. It turns out that he borrowed a rod/reel from a buddy, and the line was a "few" years old. 30# line was popping with about 6# of pressure, not to mention all the memory that it had! He ended up using my extra rod&reel that I usually bring along. He only brought home one fish, because by the time he realized what was going on, the bite was winding down. Line is cheap when you consider what the cost of line is compared to the price of the whole trip!

I use trilene big game 20 lb mono and respool 3 times a year, I like the line but don't take chances, want to be able to land them skiers when they get too close!

I use braided 30 lb spider wire on most of my reels, and only respool when something stupid happens that causes me to lose a lot of line. It seems to last a long time. In fact I have 1 reel that has 5 or 6 year old spider wire on it. After reading what others do I unspooled all of it from the reel , attached 1 end to my truck bumper, the other end to my scales, and tested it. It held 35 lb without breaking anywhere, so I spooled it back up.

Latest posts

Back