Rplacing Site on a Cap & Ball Revolver??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark whiz

Reaction score
Recently I broke off the front sight on my Pietta 1858 Rem clone. I've gotten a replacement from VTI and now the question is.................how do I get out the remainder of the old front sight and press the new one in??

The post broke off JUST below the level of the barrel. I'm assuming it is soldered in place as I can see no staking marks.

I was thinking about heating the area a little with a propane torch and then taking an easy-out to the stub - maybe it'll spin out when the factory solder melts with the heat??

I guess my only other option would be to take a narrow, pointed grinder bit to it with my dremel tool.

Anybody have any other possibilities??

Any gunsmithing tips would be appreciated.

Just don't know. The Uberti's are dovetailed in.

uberti_1858.jpg

Thanks Underclocked.

I have drawings and even the NRA Firearms Assembly book too.......... put nothing explains HOW to repalce this particulat sight.

I guess this will be another one of those experimental things I have to go thru.

Hmm.. You KNOW it's hard to say without looking at the gun. Could it be that it is just a simple threaded site?

The piece that is still in the barrel does not look threaded and the replacement sight is Definitely not threaded - just a stud that is tapered at the top for sighting.

Back