Sabot care and shelf life

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew the shelf life of sabots in general? I keep alot of my shooting supplies in my truck alot of the time.. If I get a moment to shoot, I only need to add a gun and powder!

Will the heat generated in a car during the hot summer bother the sabots? What is the shelf life of current sabots and will excessive heat cause them to lose pliability and get brittle?

Just wondering..

Doohan :think:

will excessive heat cause them to lose pliability and get brittle?

I would say YES it will! Just like the dash in your vehicle. Direct sunlight, even worse.

Doohan said:
Will the heat generated in a car during the hot summer bother the sabots? will excessive heat cause them to lose pliability and get brittle?

Not that I have ever experienced.

Hot summer day's, nothing is good to keep in your Car. Plastic like materials would be the last thing you would want to keep in it. IMO :)

Temps below 125 degrees F will not have any longterm affect on sabots. That said I would not store sabots in such a temp for very long. A few days or a week would cause no problems.

Ultra-violet can be a killer. Direct exposure to UV light, in particular the sun, will degrade sabots. A few hours in direct sunlight will have no detrimental affect. A few hours a day in direct sunlight for a few weeks will degrade sabots.

A combination of UV and temps above 125 F is bad news. I would not expect optimum performance from a bag of sabots that has laid on the dash of a vehicle for a couple weeks.

You certainly don't have to hide sabots in a refridgerator for long shelf life.

Store any place with a temp of say 100 F or less and no UV light and your sabots will last indefinately, I have shot sabots that were stored as such for over 15 years and could detect no changes in performance.

There's an "archive" quality post right there from Mr. Razorback, Wolfhound. 8)

Back