Sabots and OTPWs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curious to find out how many of us, use/don't use, an over the powder wad and why when using sabots. I have never seen or heard of the practice. Does it improve your accuracy? Make cleaning easier? Do you only use wads and sabots when using certain powders/charges?

I am familiar with the practice of using wads with conicals and use them in that application but not so much with hollow base comicals.

Thanks
John

I certainly use them, mostly the dry wool wads. I have been using cotton balls as wads. They help seal the bore, i get better accuracy. I use them under the flat base on conicals, but not hollow based or Minie style bullets

I posed a similar question and there are guys that use them for a better gas seal and they use them dry. I haven't verified the better accuracy claim yet but will when I get the chance.

Smokepolehall, do you use them when using sabots?

Thanks again.
Yes indeed, the more powder n velocity you seek the better you need to seal under that sabot. Depending on the bore size i also use cotton balls. .45 & under i use half the cotton ball or a dry wool wad. .50's on up i will use a whole cotton ball or the wool wad

Yes indeed, the more powder n velocity you seek the better you need to seal under that sabot. Depending on the bore size i also use cotton balls. .45 & under i use half the cotton ball or a dry wool wad. .50's on up i will use a whole cotton ball or the wool wad
I agree. As you start increasing the charge under a sabot, especially with N110, the wad or cottonball, I feel protects it.
You ever use a whole cotton ball under the sabot in a .45? Any difference between cotton balls and wool wad accuracy? Or if it protects better?

Last edited:
You ever use a whole cotton ball under the sabot in a .45? Any difference between cotton balls and wool wad accuracy?
Yes, i could not tell of any better accuracy but the yardage was 50 yds. I was/am using a 4 moa reflex red dot. Diff between the cotton balls n dry wool wads was not noticed. Now if you are shooting out at longer yardages you may find some diff. Plenty of people run scopes on their rifles. Neither of my .45's are set up for scopes . I do have a .45 in sml with a 3x9 Vortex V Brite i am going to see what it does with sabots/wads n cotton balls !

Yes, i could not tell of any better accuracy but the yardage was 50 yds. I was/am using a 4 moa reflex red dot. Diff between the cotton balls n dry wool wads was not noticed. Now if you are shooting out at longer yardages you may find some diff. Plenty of people run scopes on their rifles. Neither of my .45's are set up for scopes . I do have a .45 in sml with a 3x9 Vortex V Brite i am going to see what it does with sabots/wads n cotton balls !
I gotta try the cotton balls, now....lol....

I just started using a lubed wad on my .32 cal CVA squirrel rifle and I helps the fouling. Accuracy, IDK I don't shoot past 50 yrd with it. But I had just received a shipment from track of the wolf with .45.50 and.54 cal lubed wads and going to it for all my rifles.

Well I got a response from Harvester a while back and they said a wad was not necessary.
But as I think about it, and some claim higher velocity and better seal, it probably makes sense.
And here's my thought. Once the powder is ignited and pressure builds, whether you're using a wad or cotton ball, the pressure forces it into the concave skirting of the sabot thus pushing it harder against the bore wall making for a tighter seal. Seems to me that's the most logical conclusion.

I have just started using them. Not much data or information to report as of yet. Loads of Bore sized bullets have very little fouling to report. Patch and ball seem to have good seal and the patches recovered look good. As for the Sabot I am not seeing much of difference as of yet but have not shot much with wad/sabot combination. Will report as I experience more.

Back