Shout out to Skinner Sights!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So about a month ago I took a doe during Maryland's primitive season using my Traditions Deerhunter with the OEM Williams notch sights. I have always done ok with those sight though I do not love the way that the target gets a little obscured by the rear ramp. Anyway, shot was not 100 percent where I wanted it and death took longer than I like.
After that, I decided to upgrade the sights to a Skinner peep sight which I have on a Henry 350 Legend. With that sight on that gun, I've had great tight groups as far as 87 yards.

Anyway, I ordered a sight from Skinner that had to be specially milled to fit the flat panels of the octogonal barrel. When it came, the screws did not fit the holes on the barrel. They sent me a different screw to try and said if that screw worked, they would send me a new sight to fit the screw. For those taking notes at home, if you have a Traditions Deerhunter at home, the .860 sets of holes take an 8-40 screw. - Anyway, screw fit, less than a week later, they sent the new sight and a prepaid envelope for the return of the old one! I can't wait to get out to the range to see how this new one will work out for me. Hopefully it will be fine...if not, front post sight can be modified. Plenty of time before next primitive season to get well and truly dialed in.

Moral of the story: They are a great company and do not hesistate to use them for your iron sight needs!IMG_4132.JPGIMG_4130.JPG

So about a month ago I took a doe during Maryland's primitive season using my Traditions Deerhunter with the OEM Williams notch sights. I have always done ok with those sight though I do not love the way that the target gets a little obscured by the rear ramp. Anyway, shot was not 100 percent where I wanted it and death took longer than I like.
After that, I decided to upgrade the sights to a Skinner peep sight which I have on a Henry 350 Legend. With that sight on that gun, I've had great tight groups as far as 87 yards.

Anyway, I ordered a sight from Skinner that had to be specially milled to fit the flat panels of the octogonal barrel. When it came, the screws did not fit the holes on the barrel. They sent me a different screw to try and said if that screw worked, they would send me a new sight to fit the screw. For those taking notes at home, if you have a Traditions Deerhunter at home, the .860 sets of holes take an 8-40 screw. - Anyway, screw fit, less than a week later, they sent the new sight and a prepaid envelope for the return of the old one! I can't wait to get out to the range to see how this new one will work out for me. Hopefully it will be fine...if not, front post sight can be modified. Plenty of time before next primitive season to get well and truly dialed in.

Moral of the story: They are a great company and do not hesistate to use them for your iron sight needs!View attachment 41904View attachment 41905
X 2! I have Skinner sights on my Renegade and my .45-70, and LOVE both sets of sights. Here's how I modified the Skinner front post on my Renegade to provide a little finer aiming and less target obscuration.

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
So got it to the range…and a little tinkering and I am very please. In the pic, bottom right was before correction, bull was after 45 yards, 90 grain Swiss 2F, 250 grain Hornady XTP .452 in a black crush rib. I do believe I have my gun set up and load developed…now only 11 more months till Maryland’s NEXT primitive season!IMG_4176.jpeg

I too am a believer in Skinner sights. Put their express sight on my TC Hawken. Liked it so well I’m having my Renegade drilled & tapped for the same sight. Sturdy, low profile, and accurate. Customer service is outstanding. The Phone is answered in person, and they will walk you through the process of finding the front & rear sight that will work for you.
Customer for life.
G

If you have a Renegade or T/C Hawken with the blind set screw in the breech plug, you can get the Skinner "Low Pro" sight, and it will screw right into that hole. You will only have elevation adjustment, so windage would have to be with the front sight.
I have a couple TC’s set up like this. Solid sight, (no worries about bumping anything out of alignment here!) works just great and looks very clean and businesslike.

Back