Surface Rust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find out if your local gunsmith will Parkerize it for you. It is the same Manganese Phosphate finish found on many AR-15s. It does a much better job of preventing rust when compared to Bluing. It is also a much simpler process, so the cost is normally much less than Bluing.
Yeah but it’s ugly… so there’s that.

Sorta kidding about that, there was a time when I loved my M14 and M16 and considered them the most beautiful tool in my hands. But a Renegade is a different animal and from the factory the bluing is nice and quite often the walnut is very nice with some figure. A great rifle for admiring while waiting on stand.

Yeah but it’s ugly… so there’s that.

Sorta kidding about that, there was a time when I loved my M14 and M16 and considered them the most beautiful tool in my hands. But a Renegade is a different animal and from the factory the bluing is nice and quite often the walnut is very nice with some figure. A great rifle for admiring while waiting on stand.
Like others above have said (Fubar22), the Manganese Phosphate makes a great surface for paint. Duracoat makes a paint now that looks something like Bluing for those who like that look.

I use Eezox all the time. I think the rifles being exposed to being snowed on all day caused the rust to accelerate on the bbls? I'm sure not being wiped down and put in the cases for about 20-25 minutes didn't help. In any case, a lesson learned for my grandson and son. The rust came off quickly with 0000 steel wool and everything was cleaned and oiled and everything looks good. I'll be checking the bore and bbls in a day or so to make sure all is still well. As of now, everything looks good.
And the Gunwrap Anti-Rust paper from Brownells. In my hard cases I cut a 12" x 12" piece in half and put a piece underneath the foam -- both top and bottom. Each sheet will cover 1 cubic foot of space and can last 10-15 years.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/general-gunsmith-tools/shop-supplies/gunwrap-paper/

"the best protection against rust is still drying and cleaning your gun after exposure to rain, snow, mud, or salt spray."

Two barrels from competing companies. I think the test would hold more water if two barrels from the same company were used. Also, creakote is a surface coating while nitrided metal has an altered metal surface that does NOT, CANNOT, peel off. The nitrided surface has a modified molecular surface that hinders rust development under normal conditions. Anytime a company tosses an add like that bias is the core of its intent. Absolute independent testing is that which I'll believe.

I know every gun I own that's stainless or blued has at some point had rust develop regardless of how well I thought I had them dried after hunting, which is why I take the gun apart if it's gotten dampened during the day and give it a thorough rubdown with my WD40 Rust Inhibitor the same evening. My nitrided Patriot saw some rain early on one day of the last season and sat in the stand for almost 13 hours and never had so much as a sniggle of rust when I dried it off that evening. I'll put my money on nitriding.

Last edited:
If you expect to spend 2000+ hours immersed in warm salt water during your next hunt, it's probably a good idea to have your firestick cerakoted. Less extreme measures (drying, cleaning, and judiciously oiling) after a rainy hunt usually works pretty well for me. High-tech coatings have their place, but to my way of thinking just seem wrong on sidelocks and other traditional firearms.

Latest posts

Back