T/C Flintlock quality??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I've been considering a flintllock for my next BP rifle.. I've noticed a few T/C fro sale & really love my Hawken & renegade caplocks... Are the Flintlock versions just as good or which is better? Thanks in advance..

From what I've read about them, the older flintlock had some issues with the hammer geometry. They didn't strike the frizzen correctly. On newer models, they corrected the problem.
Most people have had good luck with them regardless of which model.
Good English or French flints are best, not the cut agate ones that TC used.
If you can get the gun for a good price, a replacement lock like an L&R can be dropped in with minimal work. They run about $ 225.00.
Best to just use what you have first before changing anything.

I have 2 Pennsylvania Hunters and 2 Renegade flintlocks and can report excellent results with both.
They are the older type and spark just fine.
The fine folk at Cabin Creek don't seem to have issues with the old style. They can bend the hammer neck for you, I had one done and notice no difference in spark or flint/ agate life.
The only real issues used to be poorly heat treated frizzens. I had one that looked like a plowed field. Lyman frizzens can be easily fitted and work well.
They are mass production locks, so don't expect the smoothness of a Siler. They do smooth up nicely with use though.
The newer locks have the " improved" hammer, but they are UGLY compared to the older.

From what I've read about them, the older flintlock had some issues with the hammer geometry. They didn't strike the frizzen correctly. On newer models, they corrected the problem.
Most people have had good luck with them regardless of which model.
Good English or French flints are best, not the cut agate ones that TC used.
If you can get the gun for a good price, a replacement lock like an L&R can be dropped in with minimal work. They run about $ 225.00.
Best to just use what you have first before changing anything.
would you know which specific L&R lock is used? (just looking at them & wondered which one)

would you know which specific L&R lock is used? (just looking at them & wondered which one)
I believe they offer 3 different models.
You would have to know the plate size of the one you're replacing.
For example; I have a RPL 01 for my CVA flintlock.
The plate measured 4 1/2 x 7/8. Something like that.
As far as I know, the locks are all pretty much the same, except for the plate size and general shape.

Last edited:
Back