T/C Rebore to .54 (Mr Hoyt)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkFever

Reaction score
Went to the Ft Lupton range with my T/C (rebore) 54 today(1/66). T/C factory sights, .530 PRB, .018 patches, 80 G's Pyrodex R (off a rest) 75 Yards and of course FG's Anti-Rust & Patch Lube!!
tc_75_11.jpg

Not bad at all! Damn good shooting! The more you shoot it, the better she'll get!

I am not happy with the T/C factory sights, they cover the target too much for me, especially at 100yds.
it's a wider pattern at 100 yds. Any suggestions for sights that I can replace without dovetailing?
Thanks,
MikeW

without dovetailing, I wouldnt know what to do other than a lyman peep sight. Idaholewis would know which peep to set you up with. I just dovetailed a TC barrel for a lyman rear sight.

Look at Track of the Wolf rear sight for TC - https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/882/1/RS-TC-16

<table style="border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-spacing: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: "><tr style=><td style="padding: 0px; width: 779.321px; vertical-align: top;">Rear sight, adjustable elevation, for 1" barrels, by Thompson Center</td></tr></table>
  • rs-tc-15_1.jpg

We have acquired a few of these sights in as-new condition. They are no longer manufactured. New style adjustable rear sights with a wide "V" sight picture. Made in the U.S.A. by Thompson Center, these fit later T/C rifles. Two 6-48 screws are included. These sights appear to have holes about .835" on center, but we have seen several earlier variations. Sadly T/C has not standardized their sight hole spacing over the years. This sight nests on 1" octagon flats. We get a few of these from time to time.

The ones I have seen have a "V" notch rather than the rectangular one.like most originals TC rear sites.

There's not a lot of them around anymore but they can be found, Williams made a ghost ring rear sight that bolts onto a TC.  There are two different bolt spacings though, so be aware and check what you have, the Williams will only bolt up to one of them.

I didn't like how wide the front post was either, I found a set of Williams fiber optic ghost ring sights and put them on my renegade about a year ago.  My only complaint about them is the front sight is still too big for my liking.  I'm going to mess around with trying to paint it to about half the size with some of the wife's finger nail polish and see if that works.
Even with a 6 o'clock sight in it's still just too big of a reference at 100 yards...heck at 50 yards.  It is twice the size of the POA at 50 yards, let alone 100.
On my bow sight I have .010" pins, I love them.  I've thought about trying to convert my new FO sight on the renegade over to that size.  Put some kind of shim under the .010" FO so it's at the top of the sight?  Might work...

I found and ordered this rear sight (drilled for T/C Hawken 50 w/15/16 barrel) from Gun Works in Springfield,Oregon, I now need to find a thin front sight (dovetail) to fit my T/C Hawken(dovetail size?). Also, this rear sight does not have a notch in it as you can see. Not sure if I'm supposed to file it or leave it alone as purchased? It's too close to my muzzleloader cow elk hunt to be changing things now, but will after the hunt. Any further suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,
MikeW

Latest posts

Back