t/c Renegade value

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just at my local gunshop. I came accross a t/c Renegade, 50cal. 1in48 twist. Looked like the gun was never shot. Barrell immaculate. Double set trigger. But the stock was oil finish, was that the way they came? Maybe a kit gun? $279.00. I told them I would think it over. I would like imput on it`s vaue and whatever other tidbits of info . I think I could have fun with it. :roll: :roll:

Sounds like a good deal at that price. If the oil finish was done properly, that is a plus.

They are quality muzzleloaders. Not tack drivers, because of the compromise twist rate, but something that is more than adequate for hunting and casual target shooting with moderate loads.

The double triggers tell me the Renegade is a true RENEGADE not a RENEGADE HUNTER which had the single set trigger. To check and see if it is a kit gun look at the serial number. There will be a K in the serial number, sometimes hard to see, which indicates it was a kit gun.

The price for a used Renegade a couple years back I would have told you is too high, but with the cost of traditional rifles these days, any of the quality rifles in GOOD TO NEW SHAPE is worth $250.00 in that area. They no longer make the Renegade I believe. It is one of my favorite rifles. One reason I have so many of them.

I just bought a true "Renegade" with the double set triggers, Un fired too. I paid $250 for it. It has beautiful wood plus a nice recoil pad. I took a Doe with it on my first trip to the woods today using Hornaday round balls and patch. My only complaint is due to my advancing eyes, I wish the sights were easier to pickup in low light

mojo-62 said:
I just bought a true "Renegade" with the double set triggers, Un fired too. I paid $250 for it. It has beautiful wood plus a nice recoil pad. I took a Doe with it on my first trip to the woods today using Hornaday round balls and patch. My only complaint is due to my advancing eyes, I wish the sights were easier to pickup in low light

TC made the #7194 hunting tang sight specifically for the flat tang rifles (Hawken, Renegade, White Mountain Carbine, Pa Hunter). Combine that with a fiber optic front sight (I prefer green) and you'll have awesome hunting sights.

Yep, green ROCKS in low light. Not period consistent, but if it's a hunting specific rifle, I'd bend a little and go with what works.

Latest posts

Back