Tack driver

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernbar

Reaction score
Picked up this 3- 9x scoped Savage .223 on sale a while back at Bass Pro. Loaded up some once fired brass with 26 grains of CFE 223 topped with a 55 grain FMJ bullet. The book said 3100 fps but my chrono read an average of 2955, still screaming at over 2900 fps. Target set at 100 yards and bench supported.

IMG_6258.jpegIMG_6257.jpegIMG_6256.jpegIMG_6253.jpeg

That's a nice looking gun and range set-up. 2900/3000 fps is really honking along for a .223. That would be a nice winter fox gun with that bullet/load. Head pop'm. Or load a similar weight hollow point to keep crows in line.

Recently shot one of these belonging to my cousin & it done ok even with steel case fmj. He picked it up super cheap because the person said it was junk & couldn't hit anything with it. After finding beaucoup loose screws we figured the original owner put way too much faith in chinese gunsmithing & slapped on the ar mount & scope combo straight from the amazon package lol. Takes all kinds I suppose.

Recently shot one of these belonging to my cousin & it done ok even with steel case fmj. He picked it up super cheap because the person said it was junk & couldn't hit anything with it. After finding beaucoup loose screws we figured the original owner put way too much faith in chinese gunsmithing & slapped on the ar mount & scope combo straight from the amazon package lol. Takes all kinds I suppose.
I’ve shot the Wolf steel case too, VERY dirty but accurate. I like to experiment with different hand loads but the CFE loads have been the best and cycles thru my RCBS powder dispenser smoothly. I’m very happy with my setup.

Latest posts

Back