TC or CVA or Lyman

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As you know my beloved .54 cal Renegade is lost to me...so I am starting the process of looking for another sidelock...in .54 of the Renegade or Hawkin style...I would like to hear your thoughts on what you think of each rifle..."

I can't scope or use sabots (Colorado) and I prefer conicals over PRBs...

Thanks

Since you want to shoot Conicals... I would go with the Thompson Center or Lyman. It would be the traditional style.

So recommended conical shooters are the New Englander, Renegade, Hawkens, Black Mountain Magnum, or Trade Rifle.

I have all of the above listed. And the Black Mountain Magnum has a 1-28 twist and shoots from a musket cap. It also shoots the large lead conicals quite well. Although I only tried them to 50 yards so far. It also shoots sabots. So its a nice rifle. The others are all 1-48 twist. Some shoot conicals well. For instance the .54 New Englander I have shoots some conicals well. Others not so well. It also shoots roundball. My Trade Rifle shoots roundball excellent and powerbelts actually. I have not tried a lot of other conicals out of them.

I have a really nice .54 cal New Englander I am considering selling. Its as near mint bore condition as you will find. Nice and Shiney. Ive really cared for this one well. Probably less than 100 rounds fired. Gently carried and in excellent shape with normal wear and tear.

$300.
Let me know if you are interested and I will take pics and send them your way.

Out of those choices, I like the Lyman. Only Lyman gives you the choice of Left or right hand, percussion or flintlock, .50 or .54 cal, slow or fast twist. Need I go on?

I have everything they make in .54 cal, left handed, plus a pistol! Great guns and they all shoot well! You can also add a variety of aperture, fiber, and globe sights with very little trouble.

Dang! I sound like a Lyman salesman or fan boy... :oops:

.....and to further add you can get Lyman's brand spanking new!!!
And in kits, Both my 54 GPR & Plains Pistol were kits!
Although I do admire the TC's, they outnumber the Lymans in my cabinet, you're stuck with a used one and risk a poor bore. Unlike the one offered (New Englander), you really gotta be careful.
I have 2 TC N.E.'s. One in .50 with shorter 24' bbl and syn stock and other is the TC Grey Hawk (really a stainless NE w/syn stocks) in .54 w/24" bbl.
Original New Englanders came with 26" barrels.

I would recommend you look for a TC rifle that does not have the QLA. The quality of the TC products are much better than the others listed in my opinon.

Thanks for all the info and thoughts...I went to a local shop last night and they have the Black Mountain Magnum ($400 gently used)...I handeled it and the 2 Hawkins that they had, a CVA and a TC...After handeling them, I am convinced that I want another Renegade. I really loved the one I had and I just need to find another good one in .54.

I thought I was open to the idea of any sidelock...but after spending some time handeling some...I just longed for the Renegade. I will watch the Gunbroker and Gunsamerica sites...and keep my eyes open here locally.

Thanks again

Keep an eye on the classified adds on Muzzleloader forum. I see the one you are looking there very often.

I would go for a Lyman, if buying new. I have two Lyman Deerstalkers, both .54, one caplock, the other a flinter. Great muzzleloaders. The T/C's are nice also, but you will be buying used, as T/C makes no .54's, anymore.

BPHunter said:
Out of those choices, I like the Lyman. Only Lyman gives you the choice of Left or right hand, percussion or flintlock, .50 or .54 cal, slow or fast twist. Need I go on?

I have everything they make in .54 cal, left handed, plus a pistol! Great guns and they all shoot well! You can also add a variety of aperture, fiber, and globe sights with very little trouble.

Dang! I sound like a Lyman salesman or fan boy... :oops:

The Renegade and New Englander came as lefty's.

My choice of used rifles are:
1: Thompson Center Hawken
2: Lyman GPR
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9: CVA (anything)
10: Traditions (anything)

My choice of new rifles are:
1: Lyman GPR (RB barrel)
2: Lyman GPR (slug barrel)
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9: CVA (anything)
10: Traditions (anything)

I think the Lyman Deerstalker is about as close to a Renegade as your going to get in a new rifle but 24" vs. 26" barrels lengths. You should be able to locate another used Renegade if it's a .50; .54 and/or flint will be a little more difficult.

The longer barreled Lymans are good shooters too. I don't see a whole lot of those on the used market for some reason. Lot's of TC guns out there used.

I have a really nice NEW never fired TC NEW ENGLANDER Composite Stock 50 Cal I will sell for $300 shipped. Do not have the box.

This will make someone a really nice sidelock.

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back