Tested: New gun and magazines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
The other day a little rifle caught my eye at Wal-mart and I bought it. It is a Ruger 10-22, SS with beechwood stock $219.00. Nothing new here other then it has a rifle length barrel instead of the normal one. I ordered a BSA sweet 22 range compensating scope for it but in the meantime I put my EO Tech Holo-Sight $450 on it just to screw around with. I also bought 2 after market mags. One was a 25 rounder made by Butler Creek 19.95 and the other was a Ramline dbl stack 50 rounder 24.95. I also bought 2 550 rd packs of Rem golden 22LL hollow points 10 bucks a box.
I got this rifle to use as a fun gun and plinker. Nothing more. Anyway I took it out yesterday to see how the system worked. The trigger sucks, it is heavy and creepy. I can fix that so no problem. After 200 rds the rifle came loose in the stock. No problem I tightened it up. No jams that were the fault of the ammo or rifle. No jams with the factory mag.
Accuracy was about what I expected with the Holosight and what I used for a rest. A makeshift bench and one sandbag. At 25 yds 5 shots did one inch. Well this was not really a fair test but I doubt it would do much better with a proper rest and more glass and a better trigger, maybe I can get it down to 1/2 but we will see. Don't really care either as I bought for a plinker and it is good enough for that.
I was very interested in how the high cap mags would work.
Well the Butler Creek mag just did not work well at all. It jammed the rifle every 2-5 rds. Did not matter how many were in the mag, it seems the spring is just too weak to hold the ammo in the correct postion.
The Ramline mag worked with 25 rds in it pretty well. Sometimes it would shoot the whole mag without a jam , sometimes it would jam once. If I loaded it with 50 rds, forget about it, it would Jam several times until I got down below 30 rds. So I just call it a 25 rd mag and it will be fine for my purpose, which is just burnin ammo.

Back