The tale of two White Moutain Carbines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwardamason

Reaction score
Ive owned a TC White Mountain Carbine for as long as I can remember in 50 cal. Serial number 463##. Its one of those ML's that is very near and dear to my heart and accompanied me on many a deer hunt and has slayed countless head of deer.

This weekend I found someone that wanted to sell me a twin brother to it serial 119##. It's obviously a older one. It has not been as gently cared for but was in reasonably good shape with a pretty sound bore with only some slightly above average wear on the blueing and stock. This one does not have the additional screw hole towards the rear for the factory scope mount like mine has. No doubt this is a early production run. The guy made me a fair price on it so I took it.

I thought that maybe the trigger was was just dirty on the one I picked up because it made a funny springy noise when I cocked it. So I decided to break it down to clean it and it looked nice and clean and oiled on the inside surprisingly enough. On closer inspection and tearing these two down and comparing them they have entirely different trigger actions.

The older one has some sort of trigger return spring where the newer one does not.

Anyone have any information on this ? Did TC make some sort of major change across the board on their Traditional MLs? Or just on the WMC???

Here is a pic of the brothers together. Not a very good pic I know.

931FEE03-4A3F-4047-8E7E-5E484229B5A6-5653-00000778AAC213CB.jpg

A03BCA47-53A4-4C4B-AA09-116BFA3A6302-5653-0000077876BBA40D.jpg

50A182C8-935E-4303-B3BB-445A26A6FEB0-5653-0000077866298B94.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot the best part. The older one is a 1-20 twist:)

I think I hit the mother load. :)

Beautiful rifles... and they are good conical shooters. I am sure you know that. And realize how lucky you were to find that rifle.

cayuga said:
Beautiful rifles... and they are good conical shooters. I am sure you know that. And realize how lucky you were to find that rifle.

Thanks man.

I do realize how lucky I was to find this one. I almost walked away from it. The condition was almost borderline of what I usually like to buy, I'm really meticulous about the ml I keep and care for and this one had seen some times in the field. Not abused by any means just not gingerly cared for.

I've tried conicals through mine but just don't see any reason to beat my shoulder up over a white tail deer when a sabot will do just fine. Now if I were to ever go on a elk hunt I might have to consider going back to conicals.

I've never really considered looking into power belt type bullets before but this 1-20" twist barrel might just convince me to give them a whirl.

Back