There I was...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
with my father in the same spot as last Saturday waiting for the chance at a large gallinacious fowl to come ambling by in front of my shotgun.

We arrived in the dark and crept as silently up the old road as possible. We sat beneath a large pine and waited. Soon we heard a gobble at 4:50 AM. Then we then heard two more. We figured that there were at least two gobblers in this spot. They seemed to gobble like crazy at the geese and a jack ass that was braying away.

I suspected that they went out into the posted field and not towards our spot but I soon heard them again, and much closer. I gave a couple yelps with the diagphram and waited. I figured that they were coming our way and that one call would be suffice. I believed that I over called and scared some birds.

Anyways I motioned Dad for the binoculars and peered through the woods. I spotted the two birds walking towards us. We are on a slight rise and they were below us. I figured that when they crossed the road I'd take one.

I saw the other bird and hoped that the two would be close enough for both of us to take the birds but such was not the case. One bird veered off and was out of range in the woods. The other bird made a sort of beeline towards us.

I cocked the hammer back and then squeezed the trigger. CLICK..

I had a misfire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could that have happened? ???????????????????????????????

I quickly recocked the gun and then when its head was clear from a small sapling, I shot. The 12 guage 3 1/2" 2 ounce load of no 5 shot careened through the stillness of the morning at 5:50 AM and hit the vitals. The other bird flew off and we ran to the downed bird. I was impressed with the size of the beard and the very sharp spurs. I have never taken a bird with such sharp spurs before. They actually scratched my hands when I hoisted him up.

Needless to say Dad and I are happy. I said a short prayer of thanks for the gifts that I have been given and soon to prepare for the feast.

Congrats on the bird. My season is also over UNLESS it rains this weekend, and I have not gotten a bird yet.
I pray for rain so I can hunt Sat eve, and Sun all day.

Latest posts

Back