They told him it couldn't be done.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
A friend took a 1,000yd challenge with his Remington Ultimate and a Parker 327gr Match Hunter bullet.
A single shot knocked the steel down, hitting it in the front leg bending it under.
In another photo, at least a 1/2 dozen witnesses signed the piece of steel, which for some reason I can't find at the moment, but I will keep looking.

1000yds_with_a_Remington_Ultimate.jpg

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Nice.

I'd like to try that some day . How big is the target typically at 1000 yards ?

I have no clue Doug. These guys are out west where they can shoot a mile+. They were shooting custom CF rifles, but he had his RUM along that day and he gave it a try. The dino in the back of his truck is what he shot at that day (size), and hit it in the front foot.

One hell of a shot! ..... Lucky or not, he had plenty of witnesses who signed the dino.

The X ring on an NRA 1000 yard target is only 10 inches in diameter and long range muzzleloaders can hit it using iron sights. Whoever said "it couldn't be done" ???

X-RING1 said:
The X ring on an NRA 1000 yard target is only 10 inches in diameter and long range muzzleloaders can hit it using iron sights. Whoever said "it couldn't be done" ???

EXACTLY!!! When i bought my Long Range Peep Sight from Lee Shaver’s i asked him about 1,000 Yard accuracy with peep sights? Lee is a 2 Time World Champion, He told me one of his best Groups was 5 shots in 8 inches at 1,000 yards, I didn’t ask him, but i assume it was BPCR? Regardless it was done with open sights. I know Lee also shoots Long Range Muzzleloader as well

Hell of a shot in my book also, I didn't know everybody and their brother could do it with open sights. Guess I will just stay impressed with the dead Dino.

X-RING1 said:

Nice to see ya hanging around and posting :yeah:

twild said:
Hell of a shot in my book also, I didn't know everybody and their brother could do it with open sights. Guess I will just stay impressed with the dead Dino.

It is a hell of a shot regardless of Scope or not! And i would say you are correct about the everybody and their brother deal, These guys that are doing this with Open sights have spent a TON of time acquiring the skills to get it done. Another thing that is LARGELY different is the Target size, Guy’s shooting open sights at 800-1,000 yards are doing so at a target that is HUGE, 6X6 foot Square with a 44 inch Black Aiming Bull (You need to be able to see the Target in order to aim at it, Pretty Hard to hit what you can’t see!) I don’t think it’s even possible to see a target as Small as the Dinosaur above with open sights at 1,000 yards? I know I wouldn’t be able to see it!
But With a Scope you would be able to see the little Dinosaur itself and actually shoot at it.

Very impressive. But heck until a few years ago I never dreamed a person could hit something at 500 yards with a muzzleloader. I have watched Bob ring steel at 500 hundred yards many times with no trouble.

Latest posts

Back