Thoughts and info on TSS vs ……

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I’ve read with great interest replies about using TSS shot. The main issue being cost and I understand those concerns.
Some of the OEM shells have gone the BH209 route.
Now I wouldn’t use them for dove or grouse hunting ( would have to mortgage the house LOL ) ,but for turkey they are the king. IMO.
I repeat IMO.
Beside being more costly other issues.
While TSS can deliver farther down range, one needs to actually pattern at the given range. Crosswind will definitely move a TSS XF choke pattern past 50 yds. I pattern / test up to 70 yards. With TK -XF and 20ga semi / Indian Ck chk.
Initial investment like dialing in a scope or a CF load devolvement.
I do reclaim the TSS shot and reuse for targeting. Once dialed in the new stuff is used to confirm.
I read posts stating “it patterned well”. Kind of subjective. But if poster is happy so be it.

Other.
I’m not a tree hugger but lead contamination concerns me in regards to it’s affect on wildlife. While speaking for myself I can honestly say I’m not totally lead free hunting ammo.
Yet.
But for birds pretty much. ( Doves are now a thought on what to use, ,,, working on it ).
If one understands about a bird’s digestive system (crop & gizzard) it might give more consideration about using anything lead.
Side bar.
A larger animal such as deer or larger. Lead core bullet enters and fragments. Later birds of prey or predators munch on the carcass. Eating particles of the lead fragment. Quoting from The Observer
“Stomach breaks down the lead. Enters the blood stream ,carried throughout the body. Causing neurological problems and organ failure.”
A good read.

https://wearetheobserver.com/lead-shot-hits-the-food-chain/

https://huntingwithnonlead.org/ammunition/bullet-performance

Last edited:
I'm no tree hugger either and I feel similar to you on the use of it. I prefer solid copper for my deer. I feed the venison to the family and don't want my lil guy taking in anymore then possible. Plus I'm in aviation and exposed to lead all day from the fuels. So I'll pass on a second helping.

Back to topic.. TSS is worth the mortgage payment to get setup for it. New tss rated hardened turkey choke tube, pattern testing at various ranges. Then a couple every year to just verify. I use regular turkey loads for practice to get used to the recoil and such. I hunt in a dress and carry a purse so I have a tendency to flinch 🤣

Back