Traditions 209 Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OXN

Reaction score
Recently ordered a Traditions Ultralight G4. As it turns out, the one that arrived at my house was a G4 NW edition, instead of the 209. Anyone converted one of these, or a similar Traditions rifle, to be NW legal and not need their conversion kit anymore? I actually already have a 209 breech plug- just need the firing pin, spring, retainer plate and screw shown below. Got Venmo or miscellaneous blackpowder-related trade bait. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 4.11.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 4.11.16 PM.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 4
Bump, nobody? Contacted Traditions CS and they told me they couldn't help.

I wonder what the difference between the 209 vs the northwest model is. I have 2 Traditions G4 ultralights and I just changed the breech plug and they work fine. I have only shot them a few times( hunt with my knight). The northwest has a rectangular shaped firing pin and the 209 model has the round firing pin. We were discussing this topic on another forum 2 years ago and a muzzleloader distributor out of Oregon contacted Traditions and this is the conversation they had.........
(I did some digging into this and spoke with Traditions to ensure that we were fully informed before commenting on the forum.

After speaking with their engineers, they do not feel that it is safe to use the A1443 breech plug and 209 primers in the Northwest muzzleloaders. Due to the frame and barrel designs of the Northwest guns, blowback and pressures would be unsafe and is not recommended or advised on any level. Just keep in mind, this is straight from the engineers and I am just relaying this information.

Also, installing an A1443 breech plug in your Northwest gun will void the warranty on your muzzleloader, which is always a concern.

GOOD NEWS: Not all the updates were bad news! Traditions is releasing a conversion kit for Pursuit and Buckstalker muzzleloaders, to fully adopt the 209 primers. This kit will not work in the Vortek platforms, but at least anyone owning a Pursuit G4 or Buckstalker will be able to safely make the swap, without jeopardizing their safety or voiding their warranty. )

Wonder what they meant when they said that the frame and barrel design was not safe to use 209 primers with. When they now offer the conversion kit but you still use the same frame and barrel.

I wonder what the difference between the 209 vs the northwest model is. I have 2 Traditions G4 ultralights and I just changed the breech plug and they work fine. I have only shot them a few times( hunt with my knight). The northwest has a rectangular shaped firing pin and the 209 model has the round firing pin. We were discussing this topic on another forum 2 years ago and a muzzleloader distributor out of Oregon contacted Traditions and this is the conversation they had.........
(I did some digging into this and spoke with Traditions to ensure that we were fully informed before commenting on the forum.

After speaking with their engineers, they do not feel that it is safe to use the A1443 breech plug and 209 primers in the Northwest muzzleloaders. Due to the frame and barrel designs of the Northwest guns, blowback and pressures would be unsafe and is not recommended or advised on any level. Just keep in mind, this is straight from the engineers and I am just relaying this information.

Also, installing an A1443 breech plug in your Northwest gun will void the warranty on your muzzleloader, which is always a concern.

GOOD NEWS: Not all the updates were bad news! Traditions is releasing a conversion kit for Pursuit and Buckstalker muzzleloaders, to fully adopt the 209 primers. This kit will not work in the Vortek platforms, but at least anyone owning a Pursuit G4 or Buckstalker will be able to safely make the swap, without jeopardizing their safety or voiding their warranty. )

Wonder what they meant when they said that the frame and barrel design was not safe to use 209 primers with. When they now offer the conversion kit but you still use the same frame and barrel.

It appears that the firing pin diameter and the diameter of the hole in the breech plate, which could regulate back pressure, are different. Definitely looks like you could get away with just switching the breech plug, but if you had an overdressed or other kind of misfire it might be unsafe. Just guessing. In any case, I'm not going to run it without doing the full conversion

Back