Tried Different Conicals in the CVA Stalker Carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
7cd6f13d.jpg

I decided after working all morning to shoot the CVA Stalker Carbine this afternoon. I wanted to try some different conicals out of it and a few sabots. I realize sabots are not traditional but I figured with the 1-32 twist the rifle might shoot them.

I was shooting off a bench rest at 50 yards according to the Bushnell range finder. I started with some Hornady Great Plains conicals and was not real pleased with them. They are marked with the RED arrow. I felt the should have grouped better then they did. Perhaps a sub base under them will help.

I then got out the maxiball. I know the rifle likes them with 80 grains of Pyrodex or Goex and some wads. They as normal did not disappoint me at all. The grouped excellent and will probably be my set load for the rifle. I do have to make a slight sight adjustment as I had to bury the front sight and hold where I made POI X on the target, so some adjustment is necessary. They are marked by the BLACK arrow.

I then tried some of my home made 405 grain .458 pure lead Flat Point projectiles in Knight Sabots. They just kind of sprayed around, but do show some promise. I marked them with a GREEN arrow. I know I shot five of them but could only find the three hits. The other two might have went into the maxiball hole I do not know.

Over all for a 21" barrel this is a good shooting rifle. It is a real surprise for how light and easy to point this rifle is. It could use some better sights as the stuff on there is not to my liking. Since this rifle is tapped for a scope, I was thinking of mounting a RED DOT on it. It could be a very interesting little brush gun with a RED DOT.

Back