Tuco Ragin' Judge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw a revolver on "Better Call Saul" TV Series. The character, Tuco, had a huge revolver! It was called a Taurus Ragin Judge, 45 Long Colt, 3" .410 shotshell and .454 Casull.

I heard that Taurus made the pistol for Courtroom Judges who had been shot in the courtroom. The Taurus loaded with .410 would put the quietus on a perp without continuing through and through bystanders. Not sure I would agree as the best idea, but Taurus sold a few!

The gunshow owner said the seller only shot it once 454 Casull and sold it. I found one at a gunshow, half price, next to an S&W 500 Magnum also shot once and half price. Took 'em both home with me!

At my age I have no interest in firing magnum loads. I saw the S&W Had twice the recoil of a .44 Magnum. I did shoot the Judge with 45LC and .410, no big deal. I plan to load the 500 S&W Magnum at target loads. I love the look of that pistol.

I'll take a few pictures and load 'em up later.

Attachments

• Tuco Raging Judge.jpg
    Tuco Raging Judge.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 0
Saw a revolver on "Better Call Saul" TV Series. The character, Tuco, had a huge revolver! It was called a Taurus Ragin Judge, 45 Long Colt, 3" .410 shotshell and .454 Casull.

I heard that Taurus made the pistol for Courtroom Judges who had been shot in the courtroom. The Taurus loaded with .410 would put the quietus on a perp without continuing through and through bystanders. Not sure I would agree as the best idea, but Taurus sold a few!

The gunshow owner said the seller only shot it once 454 Casull and sold it. I found one at a gunshow, half price, next to an S&W 500 Magnum also shot once and half price. Took 'em both home with me!

At my age I have no interest in firing magnum loads. I saw the S&W Had twice the recoil of a .44 Magnum. I did shoot the Judge with 45LC and .410, no big deal. I plan to load the 500 S&W Magnum at target loads. I love the look of that pistol.

Taurus makes a Raging Hunter, too. I think im going to pick one up in 454 some day.

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/raging-hunter/raging-hunter-tm-454-casull-two-tone-6-75-in

Attachments

• IMG_1928 (1).JPG
    IMG_1928 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
My Grandson has the Ragin Judge and in .454 Casul, it's really not that much fun.

That’s not a handcannon. This is.
330 Dakota caliber. Ballistically superior to a 338 Win. Mag. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_6030.mov
    16.3 MB
I have the Taurus smaller 2.5 inch .410/.45 Colt snub nose version. It is actually not bad at all with either shooting .410 or .45 Colt rounds. Every once in a while some rare 2.5 inch .410 shells actually show up at the gun stores for sale too. Anyway it just barely fits in the big pockets of my jeans.

I test fired the bigger Judge too and I did not find it objectionable to shoot. All that extra size and weight tends to moderate the recoil. But I didn’t shoot any .454 Casul rounds out of it though. But I think it is more for keeping under the judge’s bench on a shelf than to carry around on your person.

But the 3 inch shells are almost unobtanium. Worse is the prices as about all anyone has on the shelf are the bismouth shot loads at .460 Weatherby ammo prices.

Back