Tumbler media preference

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The past 6 years I’ve been using corn cob as media to clean brass for my 7mm mag. It does a good job but I feel like it could get cleaner/brighter brass. What gives you your best results? Adding any type of liquid cleaner or polish? I should also note that I use a vibratory cleaner. Maybe an actual tumbler would give me the results I’m looking for?

You can also try the vibrating hydroscopic cleaners.
Harbor freight has the media.

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
Go to a pet supply store and in the lizard section get the walnut shells they use for litter. Cheap and very effective. Add about a tablespoon of liquid car polish and use your vibratory tumbler.
I have used it for years.

Click on this image, blow it up and see the brass is as good or better than new. When your resizing, trimming, priming, and setting your bullet wear gloves to keep finger prints and oils off the brass. It will look fantastic….

I'm a big fan of wet tumbling using dawn, lemishine, and stainless steel pins. Perfectly clean, shiny, and bright in 1.5-2 hours.

I’m in the same camp as Chundoo, and others.

I’m extremely pleased with the results, though I concede that I’ve never done any vibratory tumbling w/walnut shells or the like.

Something really neat about washing away all the tarnish and grunge, and starting over with clean media each batch... 👍

I use an old food dehydrator (clearly marked “BRASS ONLY”) to dry my brass completely. By the time the next tumbler-full is ready to rinse, the first is dry and ready to bag up.

I haven’t gotten to the “latex glove” level of brass handling yet, though! 🥸

yep I played with the corn cob tumbler too. Dusty and the results were less than stellar. Then I bought a fart platinum. I tumble with pins for 30 min drain water, tumble again for 45 minutes and drain final rinse cycle I add citric acid and tumble for 20 minutes or so.

I get excellent results.

Click on this image, blow it up and see the brass is as good or better than new. When your resizing, trimming, priming, and setting your bullet wear gloves to keep finger prints and oils off the brass. It will look fantastic….
does it shoot better

I used to use corn cob media and it was a mess. Once you switch to steel cleaning media with water mixed with cleaning solution you will never go back- the brass is much cleaner and easier to deal with. I use a Frankford Arsenal tumbler and their cleaning solution. You will also need to get the media separator to separate the steel media from the brass. The brass looks brand new after the process.

I’ve only ever used a vibratory case cleaner. I bought it back in late 80s. I’ve been saying when it takes a crap I’ll switch over. Well after 10s of thousands of pieces of brass it just keeps chugging. It’s a Dillon CV 500. The media I use I get from my buddy who owns an industrial painting company, plain ole crushed walnut blast media in 50 pound bags. Works for me shiny brass is nice but just being clean is all it needs.

SS media tumbled is superior to vibrating type media. I use Southern Shine SS media and not the SS pin type. I started with the pins but they can get stuck inside the cases.

A comparison.
I’ve taken grungy dark brown mud cased brass from the range.
Vibrated cleaned. Walnut & corn. 30mins.
SS media, Dawn, citric acid & water. Tumbled. 30 mins.
The SS tumbled looked unfired new condition. Inside and out.
No comparison as to which does the better job.
The SS tumbled cases are rinsed.
Then dried in my oven at 150 f.
I have a perforated SS sheet I use. Give a toss during drying.

( test for done medium rare ) LOL. Sprinkle with grated parmesan…..
OOPS wrong recipe😁

Really though. There is no comparison of the cleanliness that the SS leaves.

Latest posts

Back