uberti colt 3rd model dragoon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
a dead beat finally paid me some money he owed me after we had a come to Jesus talk. going to use it to buy a uberti colt 3rd model dragoon tomorrow from dixie.  then i will save for a howell conversion cylinder. i have already ordered some after market wolf springs for it and a new wedge is already here. i reworked the wedge so the barrel comes of easy and real fast. i can reload those howell conversion cylinders almost or as fast as the average person can reload a colt saa. i also will do a new forcing cone on it and take the varnish off of the grips and just make them a good oiled finish. also i take the brass frame for the grips off and completely take out every tool mark and scratch every where on it. then polish it with a cloth wheel and red rouge. then i let it go to a scratch free patina. its a toy i wanted for a long time.

I too have a 3rd Mod Dragoon, unknown make, picked up from a nice ex marine at a gunshow in Rock Springs Wyoming 20 years ago. A mate put a new front sight on it so poi at 20 yards. I use about 30 grains of FFfg a greased 1/4 inch hard felt wad.  Shoots a treat. I find the 50 grain charges tend to shake the loading lever loose so have to use a period style  rubber band to fix it in place ! Even  with that big charge she is pretty comfortable to use. Be interested in a picture of yours when you have set it up !

cheers 

Gordon

Hope the Uberti hand guns are made better then the screws in there 1876 winchester  models are . I have a 76 in 357 mag that has had 3 screws break into with a grand total of 4 rounds thru it . When 1 breaks I tap it out to 6x48 and convert to regular gun screws . I like the look and feel of the gun but so far its my last Uberti .
Mark

i have several uberti colt revolvers and one remington uberti. no broken screw yet but they are too soft for me. i have taken apart them all several times to clean or to totally tune them when i first get them. if i ding the slot i cant keep it that way for the looks of it. i spin the screw in my tennesse turning lathe(3/8th drill motor). after i redue the slot. use first 220 grit then 1500 grit. then i reblue and they turn out better than new. no broken ones and i can see why you would be upset if that is your experience. the dragoon should be here tomorrow by UPS. wont shoot as a percussion, for some reason im not interested in rifles of that time, just the cowboy revolvers. to me, they hold so much better than any modern ones.

got it yesterday. went right to work on the gun. brass was full of tool marks. took all of them out and polished the brass on a buffing wheel with polishing powder. they never ever do the inside of the trigger guard. my brass had some casting mini pitts in it what they should have not let through but im leaving that and the rest of the brass is perfect and will now age color by its self. i found out that wold doesnt make after market spring for that big gun so i did this. the two flat springs i honed down each side so they were as smooths as possible, using a large sharpening stone. any irregular surface of the side of a flat spring can cause it to break in the future.now their is less chance of breakage. i thinned the main spring a little. now it cocks a little better and the trigger release is better. the trigger has a little creep but not enough to affect accuracy. i deepened the sight groove in the top of the hammer so it will shoot to point of aim at 15 to 20 yards. that took awhile but it is done. i put a better forcing cone in the back of the barrel and polished it. the wedge was perfect and i didnt have to do anything with that. instead of stripping the varnish off and doing a oiled finish on the gripps, i spent several hours rubbing them with a cotton cloth with a lots of HUTS varnish polish on it. now they are like glass with no dimples or dips in the finish. they really look nice. now i have to save for a howell conversion cylinder. i love the weight of the gun and it holds very steady in my hand. some day i might get tired of the tiny pitts in the brass and order a grip with none in it but for now i like the gun after i tuned it up. the lock up is very tight and perfect. i know it will be a shooter. it also comes apart very fast and easy. goes back together very tight.

Had a few shots at the range today with my unmarked 3rd model dragoon at 25 yards. Forgot the roundball and use some of a mates stash of Eras Gone conicals. I had a new 35 grain spout from TOW, loaded the pistol with FFFg, lubed felt wad over powder then the conical. First 6 shots I put 3 in the black after that, all over the place.  
       She does shoot fine with round ball. These conicals do have a pretty good bearing surface, they were also starting to keyhole, I cannot put more powder in and this bullet. 
        I will be interested to see how she shoots with the 35 grains and the roundball and waxed felt wad next time. Recoil is no more than my Navy London colt .36. 

Cheers 

Gordon

try a hard poly wad or fiber wad about 60 thousands thick behind those bullets beside your wax felt wads. the hard wad will clean out the bore and that is most likely why accuracy goes bad. i either cut my own or buy them from buffalo arms. its a fun gun, my friend is going to get one also after he saw and handled mine.

heelerau said:
Had a few shots at the range today with my unmarked 3rd model dragoon at 25 yards. Forgot the roundball and use some of a mates stash of Eras Gone conicals. I had a new 35 grain spout from TOW, loaded the pistol with FFFg, lubed felt wad over powder then the conical. First 6 shots I put 3 in the black after that, all over the place.  
       She does shoot fine with round ball. These conicals do have a pretty good bearing surface, they were also starting to keyhole, I cannot put more powder in and this bullet. 
        I will be interested to see how she shoots with the 35 grains and the roundball and waxed felt wad next time. Recoil is no more than my Navy London colt .36. 

Cheers 

Gordon
Something that Gordon failed to mention is when he started firing that damn cannon, everyone on the range and i mean EVERYONE stopped and looked over to see who was making the damn roof shake.....  :lol!: 

I was in the next lane and even with my ears on it was almost painful! :shock:

Buck Conner said:
Hey Mate from Oz how the heck are you doing...   :Red tup:
G’day mate, I’m not too bad! 

Ticking over quietly as always.

Yourself?

I used two Uberti Colt 1860's for CAS shooting. Good guns but I agree the screws were too soft. You need screwdrivers that have a perfect fit or you'll burr the screw slots.

You’re not kidding about the soft screws on Uberti colt 1860’s....

Is anybody aware of hardened replacements being available anywhere!

Mike in Oz said:
You’re not kidding about the soft screws on Uberti colt 1860’s....

Is anybody aware of hardened replacements being available anywhere!
I'll have to look for you mate, use to have a source, will need to find that again. Be back ...

got my howell cylinder today. bored perfectly front and back and fits my uberti colt 3/rd model dragoon perfectly. worked up a load i like for it. shoots perfectly on at 15 to 20 yards. now i have a little fix on it tomorrow. the loading lever drops every shot. went to the internet and saw a video on how to fix that. requires a drift pin punch 1/16th diam. called the hardware store and they have one locally. will get it tomorrow. what i will do is shimm behind the spring about 1/8 to 3/16ths. puts a lot more pressure on the end of the lever so it stays in place. i really like the howell cylinder and the dragoon come apart in a flash and goes back together that fast also. easy to reload. again the accuracy is perfect. before i got the cylinder i deepened the notch in the hammer which is the sight so i could draw a finer bead in aiming. it turned out perfect. another fun toy to play with.

Latest posts

Back