Was not strong yesterday

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
But for SUCH a GOOD reason.
Back in 1976, after passing my N.Y. Hunter Ed course, with a perfect score, my Dad took me to a local gunshop and bought me a rifle.
We actually got to test fire it out the shop's back door if you can believe that!
It was a Western Field Model 1, better known as a Mossberg Model 46A. It had the #6 scope mount, but had a Weaver V12.
Used to shoot in the back yard! Catskills, upstate N.Y.
Dad put an apple on a stump, backed off a bit, and shot it. He handed me the rifle and said " F@&! up and that's someone's head"
Then we moved to Pennsylvania...
At some point, I fancied myself an amateur gunsmith and... I ruined the rifle beyond recovery.
Much sad...
Never saw another, because they were only made from 1936-37.
Until yesterday. In my favorite Den of Iniquity, there she was. A 46A! With a #6 mount. And a Mossberg scope. Metal finish is... worn. Someone shellaced the stock. Easily removed. And will be.
Bolt action, 15 shot tubular magazine and full size stock.
Got her home and started to clean her a bit.

I was not prepared for the memory flood... It was kinda rough...
I'll post pics later. The only way this could've been better would be if the barrel was stamped Western Field Model 1.
I wish my Dad could see this. I didn't realize at the time how much trust he put in me. I was 13.

Latest posts

Back