Wedge pin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a T/C percussion cap sidelock with a very loose wedge pin. What's the best way to fix this? Can I just put a small amount of bend in the pin? Dying to shoot the gun but don't wanna loose the pin.

Maybe sounds funny but I've used duct tape on loose wedge pins. Just a little piece wrapped around it. Had it last for about a year before I had to retape it.

Or bend the metal on the barrel

You could indeed bend the lug a bit but some people bent it too much and broke it right off the barrel trying to unbend it.
Bending the wedge itself is a lot safer.

I copied and pasted an answer from Idaholewis below. I personally would go with some gorilla tape in the stock first.

From Idaholewis:

The best way in my opinion is to bend the UnderLug like this, Per Lyman instructions. I have Tightened MANY Wedge Keys this way. Take a piece of Round Bar and place it in the Center of the Lug, Give it a light Smack with a Hammer. Go easy, and Check fit often :lewis: You don’t want a Key that is Ridiculously Tight

XTdJMn6l.jpg

You can Also ad a Thick piece of Tape such as Gorilla Tape in the Stock Channel, Forward of the Wedge Key

Or You can get more creative and Bed Forward of the Key such as i did here (I followed Sabotloader on this) But Truth is a Piece of Gorilla Tape Works just as well as this, it’s MUCH easier, and it’s DURABLE. I have it in Several of my Sidelocks, My Rice 1-20 Twist has it at the Tang to take up Play

1ExZrNLl.jpg

A2bX08vl.jpg

Latest posts

Back