What to do with my Encore...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have we confused you enough yet? So many choices. Good luck.
IMO for varmints got with 22-250 or 243. Aren't I a big help :wink:

RAF said:
Have we confused you enough yet? So many choices. Good luck.
IMO for varmints got with 22-250 or 243. Aren't I a big help :wink:

Might have to buy more than just one barrel :wink:

I would take the Encore and trade it or sell it and buy a .243 savage centerfire rifle. I have a stainless synthetic weather warrior that shoots selected handloads into one inch at 200 yards and is not too heavy to carry as a walking around varmit/hunting rifle. I would not hesitate to take this gun deer hunting.

Ha ha ha, i knows what ya mean. I only have the two barrels but it hard to resist another.

You do have another choice in barrel length. The prohunter barrels are 28" and will fit your frame. My 22-250 is a prohunter barrel. Can you say head shots on Whitetail?

Has anyone looked at the .243 WSSM? Not a lot of factory loads for it though.

22/250 for you

Doegirl,

I have an dedicated Encore with a Blue 20 gauge slug barrel. As compared
to a Encore ML barrel the 20 gauge barrel has no weight. The recoil is sharp. T/C replaced my first 20 gauge barrel and I have not shot the replacement yet. You must shoot premium 20 gauge saboted slugs and they are expensive. Averaging $9.99 to $15.00 per five. As compared to a ML the slug barrels are NOT cost effective per shot.

I have a 25-06 Pro hunter barrel that is grouping from 1/2 inch to 1 1/4
inches for 3 shots at 100 yards using the Barnes 100 gr TSX. I find the recoil in the T/C Encore flatform for the 25-06 to be closer to the 270 than the 243. The weight distribution is farther forward on the T/C rifle.

May I suggest a 22/250 would be a better choice for you Ohio area and if rifle deer is in you future a 243 with premium bullets will do fine. The 25-06 does not outpace the 243 until your shooting past 300 yards in the practical sense.

P. S. I love the T/C fluted barrels.,,but it took me 130+ rounds to smooth my 25-06 barrel out. Copper fouled terribly...the Barnes bullets no doubt.

Greg

Blammer said:
30-30 AI is what I would get. Good for pretty much anything.

Hey Blammer,

Good to see you over here...Let me be the first to welcome you to this Board, and of course this forum.... :yeah:

JC

encore

Doegirl, I have a 6.5-284 MGM Encore barrel which is ideal for the smaller stature or youth shooter. Low recoil coupled with tremendous accuracy potential makes this combo really shine. 2850 to 2900 fps with 139 to 142 grain bullets. I shoot this cartridge more than any other I own in the Encore series.

Latest posts

Back