who is hunting with a sidelock this fall?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be going out this coming Saturday morning for opening day with my 45 cal TC hawken. Will load with a 255 gr maxihunter and 80 gr pyrodex. Will carry 3 patched roundballs as backups.

Hey there Rat Trapper, what will you be loading with? Did you find a decent shooting sabot?

I will be going out this coming Saturday morning for opening day with my 45 cal TC hawken. Will load with a 255 gr maxihunter and 80 gr pyrodex. Will carry 3 patched roundballs as backups.

Hey there Rat Trapper, what will you be loading with? Did you find a decent shooting sabot?

Once the rut gets over with and I get a few deer in the freezer I plan on putting the inlines away and getting out the .40 cal Green Mountain and seeing what it can do.

I also have a White Mountain Carbine that is itching to see the light of day again. It seems sad and keeps calling out from the back of the safe.

Edwardamason said:
Once the rut gets over with and I get a few deer in the freezer I plan on putting the inlines away and getting out the .40 cal Green Mountain and seeing what it can do.

I also have a White Mountain Carbine that is itching to see the light of day again. It seems sad and keeps calling out from the back of the safe.

I just purchased a White Mountain Carbine from a guy on the 'net, and am looking forward to giving it a try. In the mean time, I think the .54 Grey Hawk will get the nod for foul weather shooting PRBs. I'm really hoping for fair weather so as to use my flinter.

My son in law wanted to chase elk, but as a newly-wed, he doesn't have much $$ I offered to "Loan" him a deer rifle, but he wanted his own gun, so he bought a used Traditions .50 sidelock...it was filthy but the bore looks OK...so I broke out my TC Renegade...we have to get to the range for some practice...I havn't shot it for a while...we have late season cow tags...finge4rs crossed

excess650 said:
Edwardamason said:

I just purchased a White Mountain Carbine from a guy on the 'net, and am looking forward to giving it a try. In the mean time, I think the .54 Grey Hawk will get the nod for foul weather shooting PRBs. I'm really hoping for fair weather so as to use my flinter.

The White Mountain Carbine is by far one of my most favorite sidelocks of all time. Its both accurate and reliable. Its also near and dear to my heart because of such good memories and hunts its been on.

I carried the .62 Jaeger in Virginia's early MLer season, but never took a shot. I may carry it or my .58 English Sporting Rifle in Pa's regular season if the weather cooperates. I may take the .54 Grey Hawk along for foul weather.

I shoot ML all season long, but I only have an inline Encore 209x50. My .45 Kentucky PRB shooter is still in need of repair, but not suitable for deer anyway.

Threatening to buy a .54 1:48 Hawken replica kit, but won't get that finished until well after hunting season. Maybe next year!!

This year, my goal is to connect with my .44 mag revolver.

Back