Zero Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVAKodiak50

Reaction score
Hello, with utahs new law of only 1x scope use I’m trying to figure out a good zero range to be able to shoot from 25 - 150yds max. I took my 3-9 off and I haven’t re zeroed yet, I’m shooting 295gr PB HP charged by 95gr vol T7 FF in a CVA Kodiak magnum pro w 1x32 Simmons shotgun scope 1/2moa adj. I’ve always zeroed @ 100 but I’m wondering where it will be difficult to see the target at further if I need to zero at 25 instead. All help appreciated

Hello, with utahs new law of only 1x scope use I’m trying to figure out a good zero range to be able to shoot from 25 - 150yds max. I took my 3-9 off and I haven’t re zeroed yet, I’m shooting 295gr PB HP charged by 95gr vol T7 FF in a CVA Kodiak magnum pro w 1x32 Simmons shotgun scope 1/2moa adj. I’ve always zeroed @ 100 but I’m wondering where it will be difficult to see the target at further if I need to zero at 25 instead. All help appreciated
I can see enough @50 yds to get on@100 but its easy enough to get there @25 ,saves walking ! I don't walk I use a UTV ,what I'm sayin is go shoot and find out yourself as nobody else has your gun/eyes/ scope . Those are all personal choices , Simmons versus Leupold /bullet type/weight/barrel twist (all matter) only you need to shoot to know /Ed

If you’re had to make that decision, I’d zero at 75yds. The halfway distance & then shoot to confirm POI at the min & max distances with that setup

South Dakota has allowed 1X optic for a while now. My tired old eyes have taken advantage of this regulation ever since and have benefited.

A 1X optic in spite of being quite helpful can be quite frustrating. Our son can't stand a 1X scope and continues to use iron sights even into age where he doesn't see like he used to.

The cross hair in a 1X scope covers most of the target and makes it difficult to aim. Lots, and lots of practice has been a big help for me. Aiming for me consists of what one sees outside of the crosshair. My aim consists of making the surround balanced not actually aiming at the bull, but aiming at what surrounds the bull. Like if one has a bull on a piece of typing paper one doesn't aim at the bull; one aims by making 4 equal rectangles outside the crosshair.

It can be quite difficult to aim at a deer in the shadows, but with the help of binocular we have been quite successful over the years.,

Most of my shooting with the 1X scope has been at 75 yard. Sighting in 1" high at 75 yard is what we strive for. A spotting scope is always used at the range. Most all deer are ranged before being shot at. My maximum range is 150 yard or so.

Using a 1X scope is very frustrating but has brought pleasure.

75target.jpg

Welcome to Utah's nonsense! I'm in the same boat as you are in central Utah.
The trouble with the 1x scope is if you want to hold high for a longer shot, and your cross hair gets bold ie. Duplex, it covers everything to the point you can't tell where your aiming.
I've found a good red dot to be much better for higher holds, as in I can put the Dot on top of an elks back at 200 yards and still see the elk.
Also, I aim the same as Ron above, only I use a Red Dot on a round paper plate that is just bigger than my Dot so I can see a ring around my Dot for a perfect centering on target.

Back