1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a character that commented on my Video Saying that it wasn’t Possible to reach these Distances with Blackpowder, And Velocity under 2,000 Fps :) I have enough Sight left to get to 1 Mile with this Rig
People were shooting at these distances with plain old black powder more than a hundred years ago. It's all about bullet stability, not how fast it goes.

That really was incredible Lewis. I laughed my butt off at that guys comment on YouTube. He just got done watching it happen, then turned around and said it couldn’t. What a clown.

Spectacular shooting from the master once again ! Thanks again for showing us what is possible to achieve with a side lock in the hands of a competent individual. Stay safe.

Thank you everyone, I sure enjoy doing this stuff, I put a lot of time & effort in it, It never gets Old hearing that Gong come back at Long Range :lewis:

This Shoot was a lot of Fun, From my very beginning in Muzzleloading I have always been fascinated with Dave Gullo’s “Long Shot” on the White Buffalo at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton New Mexico, Filmed by “Ripley’s Believe it or not” That Buffalo is 1,123 Yards, and is a MUCH Bigger Target than mine. I also know how many Shots it took Dave to get it done :) And If you look Closely in that Video, Dave used 2 Different Rifles :) In short, i feel my Shoot Bested it :lewis: Or at least matched it. I was 75 Yards Farther, My Entire Target was MUCH Smaller, and it only took me 6 Shots to get on my Target, Starting from not having a Clue how many MOA i was gonna need?

Now to put the BIG .50 on that plate at 1,200 Yards. It will be interesting to see how much difference there is in Drop?

Lewis, you are an amazing shot. Period.

It's amazing just how good the Rice, 4140CM steel, fast twist, Thompson Center, "drop-in" barrels are. I am seriously considering one of them in 1" octagon x 21.5" long x .45 caliber x 1:20" twist to fit in a Renegade stock. Shorten the L.O.P. to 12.75" with a Kick-eez Magnum recoil pad installed. Install a Lyman 57 receiver sight on the tang with a fine ivory bead front sight. Use the Accurate Molds, #45-340I bullet over a .50 caliber wool wad. Sling swivels with an Andy's Leather, black, Biothane, Rhodesian sling. About 7.5 pounds.

I ran the video slowed and made a note of the time. Took 4+ seconds from the time of the BOOM to the gong/dirt moving and about 3-4 more seconds for the sound of the gong to return. So 4sec+ is a very good guess. Speed of sound is 1125fps soooooooooo.

VERY COOL :lewis:

Lewis, you are an amazing shot. Period.

It's amazing just how good the Rice, 4140CM steel, fast twist, Thompson Center, "drop-in" barrels are. I am seriously considering one of them in 1" octagon x 21.5" long x .45 caliber x 1:20" twist to fit in a Renegade stock. Shorten the L.O.P. to 12.75" with a Kick-eez Magnum recoil pad installed. Install a Lyman 57 receiver sight on the tang with a fine ivory bead front sight. Use the Accurate Molds, #45-340I bullet over a .50 caliber wool wad. Sling swivels with an Andy's Leather, black, Biothane, Rhodesian sling. About 7.5 pounds.

You won’t be disappointed, These Rice Barrels are as good as it gets, I can’t speak highly enough of them. They come in the White, and need some prep Work before Blueing (Finish sanding to your Satisfaction) I would put these Barrels up against ANYTHING out there, My Rice Barrels are my “TOP DOGS” :lewis:

4140cm and cut rifled for the asking price is SUPER reasonable too. McGowen wants more for a button rifled barrel in octagon and we have not even added in the other things yet.

$477.50 just for the 26" octagon blank in blued but nothing else.

4140cm and cut rifled for the asking price is SUPER reasonable too. McGowen wants more for a button rifled barrel in octagon and we have not even added in the other things yet.

Exactly :lewis: These Barrels come ready to Shoot, you don’t have to do anything to them if you don‘t want to? You can simply Fit them in a Stock, and Go shoot. I like to at least sand the “Flat” edges as you can feel a little Sharpness to some of the edges (From the milling process) I can have one Ready to Blue (to my satisfaction) in a 1/2 Hour, or less. This is up to you, How smooth do you want it? You can spend the time and make the Barrel finish as Smooth as a Mirror, then a DEEP Rich Blueing Job :lewis: it’s really up to the Customer to finish the Barrel as nicely as he Wants it

Look at a Kreiger Blank for example, This is the same 450/458 1:17 Twist as my New Rice. Now image what it would cost to have one of these Milled Octagon, You have to Buy a Breech Plug, have the Barrel Drilled and Threaded for it, Then installation (Timed), You obviously need an Under Rib & Thimbles made. In short, to have something like this Built, you would EASILY be DOUBLE the Price of a Rice “Drop in” Barrel. I would put ANY of my 3 Rice “Drop in” Barrels up against one of these Krieger‘s ANY Day, The Krieger will likely shoot as well (They are touted as one of the very best) But i’d bet my Rice won’t be Beat by one :)
https://www.buffaloarms.com/krieger-45-caliber-1-3-diamet-kri451730.html

Good Question ENCORE, The best i can tell is about 5 Seconds, These Big Bullets are in the Air a LONG time :) After the Shot, i pull my right earplug, Turn my head and listen, The sound of the Gong coming back takes awhile 😀
about 2-3 seconds for 1000

The hard part is not the simple math BUT you have to include the "rainbow" distance too. I could copy the video and use one of my better pieces of software to play it back. I think about 4sec though is a pretty good estimate.

Back