1,200 Yard .50 Cal, 610 Grease Groove (My 1st attempt with the BIG Bore at this Distance)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This morning i let the THUNDER Roll :p, My 1st attempt at 1,200 Yards with my BIG Bore, 32” Rice 1:24 Twist .50 Cal, You don’t see many of these BIG .50s doing this, I enjoyed it :lewis:

The Video, I was only able to get 2 Shots off (The state needed below me to Survey/Work) As you can see I am ON IT :cool: I am confident i will get it the next morning i am able to Shoot :lewis:

XzIK4Z4.jpg

The Bullets i used, My 610 Grain BACO GG, Cast of 1-20 Alloy (Lubed with my Modified Bullshop NASA Lube) These are Chronographed through my Rifle at 1,360 to 1,370 FPS, 100 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, Peanut Oiled 1/8” Wool felt Wad

4UUbXe9.jpg

Didnt someone already explain to you that this isnt possible? :bang:

When did you start lubing wads with peanut oil? (Sorry i have missed some of your youtube vids lately). Im looking around the house and shop to see what else may be a good bullet or wad lube now.

You're a better advertisement for RICE barrels than any advertisement could ever be!

Great shooting

Something has to be good for me to get behind it, These Rice Bullet Barrels are as good as ANY Barrel out there, I would put my 3 Rice Barrels up against ANYTHING out there, ANY day. These things FLAT OUT Shoot, They just need a “Driver” Behind em :lewis: Customer service is Awesome, Jason Schneider is as nice a Guy as i have ever Spoken with, Dealt with. Anyone looking for a HIGH end Replacement Muzzleloader Barrel for their Hawken or Renegade, I can’t speak highly enough of Rice Barrels.

For the Record, I am NOT Affiliated with Rice Barrels in anyway, I am an independent guy that Bought my 3 Rice Barrels the same as anyone else, I have put them through their Paces and I can say, and Recommend in GOOD FAITH That they are AWESOME Shooting Barrels. If the Shooter does his part, I have NO DOUBT that the RICE Barrel will Do it’s :lewis:

Didnt someone already explain to you that this isnt possible? :bang:

When did you start lubing wads with peanut oil? (Sorry i have missed some of your youtube vids lately). Im looking around the house and shop to see what else may be a good bullet or wad lube now.

I’ve been doing that for a longtime Muzzy :lewis: 100% Peanut Oil is an AWESOME Hydrator, It really helps soften the Fouling, it’s GOOD Stuff :lewis:

I use the brand with the little Peanut guy on it :D Planters I believe it’s called?

Irregardless of what some “Internet EXPERTS” claim I believe that IdahoLewis is one of if not the best shooters that I have had the privilege to see shoot. It’s very rare that we see someone document and post in detail their experiences down to the slightest detail plus be ready to answer any questions that may be asked. Congratulations on both the 45 and 50 caliber 1200 yard shooting and keep up the good work. You are a great asset to the black powder shooting community.
Smoke

Now that heavy weight must kick like a mule. Any creature hit with this bullet is a goner for sure

Thank you ALL for the kind words, We have a good group of Men here on Modern Muzzleloader :lewis: These Old Side hammer Muzzleloaders, and Shooting them Long Range is a Passion of mine, I might even be a little bit nuts about it? Can’t tell huh? :p

I am proud of each and every long Range shoot i get to do, I don’t do it to Bragg/Boast, I HONESTLY Don’t, I do it because i love it. If i can inspire someone else to pick up an Old Side Hammer rifle, and help them accomplish the same thing as i get with them, That TRULY means as much to me as doing it myself, I GENUINELY Mean that! These Old Side Hammer Rifles setup properly are EVERY BIT as capable as ANYTHING out there :lewis:

I plan to do a little Video series on how i fit a Barrel to a Stock, Wedge key Fit (IMPORTANT) My loading routine, how i get in to my Rifle when i shoot, Anything i can think of that i feel might help a fellow Shooter :lewis:

Thank you ALL for the kind words, We have a good group of Men here on Modern Muzzleloader :lewis: These Old Side hammer Muzzleloaders, and Shooting them Long Range is a Passion of mine, I might even be a little bit nuts about it? Can’t tell huh? :p

I am proud of each and every long Range shoot i get to do, I don’t do it to Bragg/Boast, I HONESTLY Don’t, I do it because i love it. If i can inspire someone else to pick up an Old Side Hammer rifle, and help them accomplish the same thing as i get with them, That TRULY means as much to me as doing it myself, I GENUINELY Mean that! These Old Side Hammer Rifles setup properly are EVERY BIT as capable as ANYTHING out there :lewis:

I plan to do a little Video series on how i fit a Barrel to a Stock, Wedge key Fit (IMPORTANT) My loading routine, how i get in to my Rifle when i shoot, Anything i can think of that i feel might help a fellow Shooter :lewis:
I would definitely be interested in that! All I have is inlines but my next one is going to be a side lock!

I think if you were s braggart or doing it for attention it would have shone through by now. No one who has followed your content for a length of time would think that. I think the biggest tell is that unlike some guys who will post up things like that and keep the how all to themselves you are always happy to share and teach others.

You've definitely inspired me to get better gear and I would really love to start casting.

As I've said before I tip my hat to you and you're always welcome at my hunting campfire anytime you're in this part of the world. :lewis:

I think if you were s braggart or doing it for attention it would have shone through by now. No one who has followed your content for a length of time would think that. I think the biggest tell is that unlike some guys who will post up things like that and keep the how all to themselves you are always happy to share and teach others.

You've definitely inspired me to get better gear and I would really love to start casting.

As I've said before I tip my hat to you and you're always welcome at my hunting campfire anytime you're in this part of the world. :lewis:

Thank you my Friend!

I wish there was an easy way to get some of my Cast Bullets to you, I have several REALLY Good 50 Cal Bullets that Shoot STELLAR in the 1:24 Twist. If we can figure out a way, I will send you some of the VERY BEST stuff i have :lewis: Did you do anymore research on Shipping Cast bullets?

Thank you my Friend!

I wish there was an easy way to get some of my Cast Bullets to you, I have several REALLY Good 50 Cal Bullets that Shoot STELLAR in the 1:24 Twist. If we can figure out a way, I will send you some of the VERY BEST stuff i have :lewis: Did you do anymore research on Shipping Cast bullets?

I did get to the bottom of it in the end. Surprisingly all I had to do in Australia was fill out one form and that was it. On the US side to send them privately the sender would have to register with ddtc as an exporter. Which is ridiculous and I wouldn't let anyone do.

The way around it was to use existing importer/exporters. I would need to get them to Maryland where an exporter there could ship them to an importer i spoke to in Australia. Price was based on weight, 50 460gr projectiles were going to be around $250. It was tempting, but I could realistically use up most of the 50 just finding a load that shoots well.

Last option is when I come to the states bring projectiles with me, and when i go back swap them for others. Its a legal loophole here but doesn't really help with my buff hunt this year though unfortunately.

Lots of over-the-top rubbish for a few hunks of lead if you ask me.

I did get to the bottom of it in the end. Surprisingly all I had to do in Australia was fill out one form and that was it. On the US side to send them privately the sender would have to register with ddtc as an exporter. Which is ridiculous and I wouldn't let anyone do.

The way around it was to use existing importer/exporters. I would need to get them to Maryland where an exporter there could ship them to an importer i spoke to in Australia. Price was based on weight, 50 460gr projectiles were going to be around $250. It was tempting, but I could realistically use up most of the 50 just finding a load that shoots well.

Last option is when I come to the states bring projectiles with me, and when i go back swap them for others. Its a legal loophole here but doesn't really help with my buff hunt this year though unfortunately.

Man! That is CRAZY!! In your situation you would be SO MUCH better off to Gather the things needed to Cast your own Bullets :lewis: I will gladly help you to Cast PERFECT Bullets, Way better than anything you can Buy

Leave it to our governments to eff up a wet dream...

Back